Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unusable Connection - Disconnects/Doesn't work (4 Engineers still no fix)

This is a discussion on Unusable Connection - Disconnects/Doesn't work (4 Engineers still no fix) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, After waiting 3 months for Sky to finally connect the broadband having been told by the salesman that it ...

LostAllHope is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01234
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Unusable Connection - Disconnects/Doesn't work (4 Engineers still no fix)

Hi,

After waiting 3 months for Sky to finally connect the broadband having been told by the salesman that it would be connected within 15 days, we still have an unusable connection after 3 weeks.

When we turn the router on the connection will last at most 1 hour, but usually all of 5 minutes. Most of the time however it doesn't work at all. Upon restart the lights are all green but the internet isn't actually working using wireless or RJ45. It then goes amber after a couple minutes.We are actually using BT equipment and BT line (as I imagine most use) .We've changed all the wiring, micro-filters etc.

Sky then sent a BT engineer out to check the line in the house and all came back fine but the fault still remained. Then an engineer was dispatched to the switch but they couldn't resolve the issue at the switchbox . Another engineer was sent to the switch and thought they had fixed the point but still the problem remained. Finally they sent another engineer out to swap our connection from one switch to another but still the problem remains.

So sky arranged for a new router to be sent out, and still the problem remained (D-Link Router). After speaking to Tier 2 again one agent thought it might be a problem with the D-Link router and our switch as when the router was restarted to factory settings (restart button for 20 seconds) the routers could not finish the test at all.
      He then decided to contact the higher ups and they are going through a test procedure to see if there is indeed a communication problem, but they have not got back to me in the time frame they provided which was 24-48 hours. He believed the next step would be ANOTHER engineer, or trying another brand of router. But they wouldn't be able to take action until the problem had been tested. I have contacted Sky but they have just promised me that they will get in touch tonight sometime before 9.

I feel powerless and have probably made over 40 phone calls to sky and have had several promises of returned calls broken, meaning I have to go through the entire system and speak to a completely different support agent.

So now after nearly 4 months of signing the sky contract we have still not been able to use Sky. Even when the system is working I cannot use it to play on any games - COD Black Ops, COD MW2 etc. I tried port forwarding uninstalling AV but that's another problem anyway.

Any idea what the issue might be? If eel like they know what the issue actually is and we aren't being told the full story.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Unusable Connection - Disconnects/Doesn't work (4 Engineers still no fix)

Ok, it sounds like you're ready to rip the heart out of the BT Openreach guy.

Have you another router that you could temporarily install? Ideally a non-sky router?

Did you have BB previously at this address?

What about your neighbours?

You state that you are using BT equipment, but do Sky have an LLU presence in your local exchange? (check on the SamKnows site)

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

If you're on Connect (as your profile says) then it doesn't matter if they get it working as it'll be unusable during peak hours. Just leave now
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Ok, it sounds like you're ready to rip the heart out of the BT Openreach guy.

Have you another router that you could temporarily install? Ideally a non-sky router?

Did you have BB previously at this address?

What about your neighbours?

You state that you are using BT equipment, but do Sky have an LLU presence in your local exchange? (check on the SamKnows site)
      Thanks for replying.

I've tried a BT Home Hub router and it didn't work at all. I've also tried a OEM router from Netgear as well and had no luck with that either. We moved in in October and the previous residents had broadband working through BT but they took the line with them as they only moved next door.

The nearest LLU is 2miles away and SKY doesn't have one there according to Sam Knows.

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Just to reiterate what IWNTE states , if you are on connect leave now. The product is not fit for purpose !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      If you're on Connect (as your profile says) then it doesn't matter if they get it working as it'll be unusable during peak hours. Just leave now
      We signed up for Sky Unlimited but were told we could only receive Connect. We're in a village in the middle of no where.

Regardless, if we were with BT we would get the same connection so it doesn't really make any difference I feel. We would probably get the same speed, throttling etc.

Is Virgin any better you think?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LostAllHope View Post
      Thanks for replying.

I've tried a BT Home Hub router and it didn't work at all. I've also tried a OEM router from Netgear as well and had no luck with that either. We moved in in October and the previous residents had broadband working through BT but they took the line with them as they only moved next door.

The nearest LLU is 2miles away and SKY doesn't have one there according to Sam Knows.
      It sounds like the telephone cable that has been installed is crud and you are now stuck between a rock and hell.

As you are on Sky Connect (I missed that first time I responded) your connection is going to be poor anyway. As IWasNotTheEnemy has suggested, dropping Sky Connect is a very good idea from what I have read in this forum. Downloading more than one film a day on Anytime+ will put you over the daily limit and cause your BB to be throttled back.

Just who to go to is a very difficult choice now. My personal opinion of BT would mean breaching the guidelines of this forum based upon the language I would use alone.

It is worth pushing Sky to get your line fixed. This way you don't need to deal with BT India. Just who to go to instead of Sky Connect will be a difficult choice though. The link I provided previously would have shown if any other operator has a presence in your local telephone exchange, but you will need to research it all.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      It sounds like the telephone cable that has been installed is crud and you are now stuck between a rock and hell.

As you are on Sky Connect (I missed that first time I responded) your connection is going to be poor anyway. As IWasNotTheEnemy has suggested, dropping Sky Connect is a very good idea from what I have read in this forum. Downloading more than one film a day on Anytime+ will put you over the daily limit and cause your BB to be throttled back.

Just who to go to is a very difficult choice now. My personal opinion of BT would mean breaching the guidelines of this forum based upon the language I would use alone.

It is worth pushing Sky to get your line fixed. This way you don't need to deal with BT India. Just who to go to instead of Sky Connect will be a difficult choice though. The link I provided previously would have shown if any other operator has a presence in your local telephone exchange, but you will need to research it all.
      Well it looks like I'm a bit buggered really as BT are the only providers around here. How would I go about cancelling the contract and get my money back that I have been paying for an unfit service? Does sky give out compensation?

I'm pretty sure that watchdog would probably enjoy a story like this, but I just can't believe how bad the entire thing's been.

I was also wondering how SkyAnytime would affect the daily BB usage limit? We are on SkyHD and were getting anytime before Sky had even got the phone line working (which also took them a stupid length of time to manage).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LostAllHope View Post
      I was also wondering how SkyAnytime would affect the daily BB usage limit? We are on SkyHD and were getting anytime before Sky had even got the phone line working (which also took them a stupid length of time to manage).
      Sky Anytime is transmitted over the Satellite signals. You get what sky wants to promote.

Sky Anytime+ is downloaded via the Internet and is currently only available if you have Sky Broadband at the moment. You get a larger choice from the Sky library but it is mostly SD at present.

Thanks

Right well it seems BT has finally managed to resolve the issue. Woohoo! Athough they won't tell us what they actually did to fix it. Thanks for all the help everyone though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast