Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wanting my full speed through SKY

This is a discussion on Wanting my full speed through SKY within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, First post so sorry if it isn't in right location but need some help as i believe i ...

Jaffascake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Antrim
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wanting my full speed through SKY

Hi all,

First post so sorry if it isn't in right location but need some help as i believe i should be getting a better connection speed that i currently am.

Stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6482 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.5 db 23.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 15.1 db

Rang sky today and they said that my line was capable of connection speed of 7.8 and then just after that they hung up, since then been on three times and been fobbed off with

' we cannot set your speed as your estimated connection speed is lower than your current one'

Is this the truth or am i just being messed about. Never spoke to tier 3 by the way so might be the fact that i am talking to people reading from a script??

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Wanting my full speed through SKY

Sky are getting better at predicting your potential speed, but sadly it is well documented now about how unreliable ADSL2+ speeds are over longer distances.

Take a look here and see how far it appears you are from your local exchange. Remember that this is not 'as the crow flies' bit rather the actual distance in wiring from the exchange.

It also might be that you have some lesser quality aluminium wiring between you and the exchange.

Finally, look at other threads with regards to positioning your router and the master socket in this forum. You'd be happily surprised about how effective some simply changes might be if you can make them. For example, if you are using some older filters, then this can cause your speed to deteriorate. It is worth using some new filters or even changing the socket to a hard-wired version.

Other tips, such as reducing the number of extension leads, can also help, so please take a good look around and let us know what has/has not worked for you.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Going by that you're currently getting the most you can as the SNR is on default. Best thing to check is to connect into the test socket and see how speed is in there (assuming you have one of course)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

The problem is the Sagem router, if you connect a D-Link router I guarantee you will sync over 7Mbps. My D-Link Router syncs at 7.5Mbps the Sagem syncs at 6.5Mbps. My Non-Sky Router syncs at 7.2Mbps. After i got switched to SVBN my speed dropped on the Sagem Router by 1.5Mbps I used to sync at 8Mbps.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6531 kbps 1098 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43.0 db 24.9 db
      Noise Margin 5.7 db 7.4 db

My SNR drops after 4pm aswell and goes back up in the morning.

Thanks

Hi thanks for the advice. Spoke with sky again and unfortunatley they said my line was set to 8.1mbps and i was able to recieve 7.7mbps although router isn't syncing this and i have no test socket behind my master.

If i change my router does it not break the t&c's ?? I am going to look into changing the filters and maybe the faceplates to see if this makes a difference. Any other suggestions and does it have to be a d-link or can any decent router do?

Thanks for the quick responses.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Going by that you're currently getting the most you can as the SNR is on default. Best thing to check is to connect into the test socket and see how speed is in there (assuming you have one of course)
      Hi can you explain with SNR is and why is it on as default, does this effect the speed of the line? Also SVBN?

Thanks

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffascake View Post
      Hi thanks for the advice. Spoke with sky again and unfortunatley they said my line was set to 8.1mbps and i was able to receive 7.7mbps although router isn't syncing this and i have no test socket behind my master.
      The test socket looks exactly like the socket on the faceplate of the master socket. In most cases the master socket is split in two, and removal of the two screws will allow you to remove the lower half of the faceplate on the master socket. In a few cases though this is not the case.

Take a look at this page for a nice way to see what type you have.

The test socket can clearly be seen in the first picture in step 3. It is in the middle piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffascake View Post
      If i change my router does it not break the t&c's ?? I am going to look into changing the filters and maybe the faceplates to see if this makes a difference. Any other suggestions and does it have to be a d-link or can any decent router do?

Thanks for the quick responses.
      Some time back I asked this question with a Customer Service Rep, her response was that they know people use other routers, but it isn't an issue. Personally I actually use a Netgear DGN2000, which is giving me a few problems on the WiFi tonight. It is an better than the std router that Sky provides in that it gives me better control at blocking unwanted web sites and has WiFi n capabilities too.

Looking around for a decent router, if your budget allows for it, I'd say is a good idea. There is a page on this forum which will provide links and instructions for obtaining the sign-on details from your existing Sky Router. However this is your responsibility and your choice. Keep the Sky router in case you need to refer to it at a later date. It's also useful as an emergency back-up.

Even if your laptop/desktop is WiFi g, you'll benefit from the better signal that a WiFi n router provides.

Note: Opinions expressed in this response are that of the writer. Should you follow the advise neither Sky User or the writer will be held liable.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The SNR (or Signal to Noise Ratio) is essentially the quality of your line versus the amount of “noise” that is present on it. If you have a high SNR on your line, this means that you have a good quality telephone line with very little noise present.

SVBN- Sky Voice & Broadband Network. This means you're data and voice comunications are being run solely through SKy's equipment in the exchange with the local loop unbundling works some companies have equipment in the exchnage but have to use part of BT's equipment in the the telephone exchnage. For Example in an non SVBN area customers data may be going through all sky's equipment in the telephon exchnage but voice calls they make are partly going through sky's equipment and partly through BT's. This is just a basic excample to try and demonstrate and may not go exactly like that, In your case your line, broadband and calls are going solely through Sky's equipment in your local excahnge and then out of the exchnage onto Sky's voice and data switches. This is a lot better for you as a customer as any issues that ever arise are dealt with by sky and there tech advisors have full access to your line tests etc.

moleman is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nige1983 View Post
      The SNR (or Signal to Noise Ratio) is essentially the quality of your line versus the amount of “noise” that is present on it. If you have a high SNR on your line, this means that you have a good quality telephone line with very little noise present.
      Sorry but have to disagree on this. The SNR seen in the stats is the margin above the level at which the ratio of the signal to noise would be 0. (i.e. noise and signal are the same and so it would be impossible to differentiate one from the other). The router attempts to negotiates a level of approx 7 to ensure a good quality signal. If the reading differs from this by any appreciable amount there must be a reason. High SNR usually means the line is being capped for some reason.

Your description of SNR is correct, but that is not what is reported in the stats. (They should really call it SNRM)

Edit: I've just realised that in the newer routers it is described as Margin, but as the OP was asking the question in response to IWNTE's comment my answer is the more correct.
      Last edited by moleman; 13-01-11 at 03:12 AM.