Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Powerline Adapters Installation Help

This is a discussion on Powerline Adapters Installation Help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, I have Sky BB and using my Netgear router (old one I think - DG834G) using a very ...

englishwhistler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Powerline Adapters Installation Help

Hi there, I have Sky BB and using my Netgear router (old one I think - DG834G) using a very long telephone extension to wire the BB connection to my PC and then other devices connect wirelessly to the router. I don't have a wireless card on my PC - I use an ethernet cable to connect the main PC and the router.

Anyway I decided to get some Powerline adapters as the connection is inconsistent and were in the sales.

I can't get my main PC to connect to the net (or the other devices for that matter). Am I being really dumb here? As I have connected one Powerline adapter to the Netgear router via ethernet and have put another powerline adapter to connect to the main PC via ethernet.

Questions
      How do I get the main PC to connect to the net? Do I need a network card to pick up the signal (I thought the powerline adapter would send the signal via electrical wiring).
      Would the other devices connecting to the wireless router still work or do I still need that darn telephone extension lead to connect to it?

Sorry for the long post but trying to sort this out for too long and not working

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Powerline Adapters Installation Help

You should be able to just plug them in and go. Make sure that the serial numbers are much the same (one will end in A, the other B).

Plug one near to your router, and the grey ethernet cable into the router & the powerline adaptor. Make sure the router is switched on & connecting to your BB.

Plug the 2nd near to your PC. Plug the 2nd grey ethernet lead into the LAN connector on your PC.

Power up your PC.

On each PowerLine adaptor you should now have 3 green LEDs glowing. No orange or red ones.

That should be the job completed.

Any further problems should be down to configuring your computer if it doesn't work now. Windows XP, Vista & 7 will take the settings from the Sky Router in order to communicate with the internet.

If the serial numbers are completely different, I can't recall where, but there is a copy of the manual on-line for the adaptors. This will tell you how to get them talking to each other.

The way they work is to make the PC think that it is actually connected directly to the router.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

tobykim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01407
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As I understand it, although not done it myself, you have your router which should be connected to power, telephone line and ethernet through to PC, then you plug in your adapter and connect that to a spare ethernet port on your router, the other adapter can then be used in any other room in the house instead of wireless. Might be wrong as I have the pleasure of connecting them up myself soon

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

It should work. Every set I've installed have worked even when adding one's from different manufacturers to an existing Powerline network. So if it isn't I'd suspect the LAN cable(s). Can you try a different set?

Kona Owner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT HomeHub4
      Thanks

some homeplugs need to be synced to each other, the 200mbps AV ones from Solwise for instance.

englishwhistler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks everyone, working mighty fine now. Getting 12Mb regular as clockwork now. Dont know if thats good on Sky Unlimited BB.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by englishwhistler View Post
      Thanks everyone, working mighty fine now. Getting 12Mb regular as clockwork now. Dont know if thats good on Sky Unlimited BB.
      That sounds fine. The only way to be sure would be to take a look at the section of this forum on obtaining stats and getting the best from your connection. ADSL2+ (what sky uses) has a habit of tapering off the further you are from the telephone exchange (see chart).

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

I was browsing the pages of a local/on-line supplier this evening and found a few alternative to the HomePlug / PowerLine adapters.

The pair I have are the Comtrend PowerGrid 902 PowerLine Ethernet Adapters and my description was based upon then and similar models, also by Comtrend. These are the one that BT supply with it's BT Vision package.

Looking at the page of the local supplier, it does appear that there are a whole lot more available from various other suppliers, including many that do not have the 'pass-through' ability for the mains electric that these do.

Some are WiFi enabled, so that you can have a WiFi signal in different parts of your home, whilst others are cable only.

IMHO they are a great idea if you are happy with the speed limits of 54-100Mb LAN (as is the case with the Sky Router). If you are someone who use 1000Mb (1Gb) LAN, then these will appear to slow your network down.

As for installation, the Comtrend ones were simply to get going and work like you've put in an extension lead between two network devices. I am sure the others will be much the same.

eBay is another good source for these products. Quite a few BT Vision owners like to sell unwanted adapters on there.

For those with larger homes, it is possible to link more than just two adapters in many cases. BT didn't supply the manual to do this, but search the web did find me the manual for these. I am sure that the manuals for other makes & models will be just as easy to find.

I trust that this helps.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

you have to be careful with ebay and the Comtrend adaptors that BT supplied as some of these have been recalled due to safety concerns.

Some people may not realise this and could be buying products that need to go back to the manufacturer.

I still see netgear XE103 on sale on ebay and they were recalled years ago.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

markyb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: orrell
      Broadband ISP: connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

do you need to buy branded homeplugs or will cheaper ones do
      also is it better to get 200mbs or will 85mbs be ok

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast