Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sky Connect - BT Traffic Management - My options (before i jump out the window!)

This is a discussion on Sky Connect - BT Traffic Management - My options (before i jump out the window!) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all... first post and as many in here its come from woes experianced with Sky Connect. Usual scenario... I ...

OfficerCUFC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Cool Sky Connect - BT Traffic Management - My options (before i jump out the window!)

Hi all... first post and as many in here its come from woes experianced with Sky Connect.

Usual scenario... I live in a small village, one exchange (0.5 miles away)... no real choice of ISP's as its all down a max 8mbs BT line.

So a week ago i noticed the classic reduction in speed after 6pm. Clearly a throttling as the dynamic IP changes on the dot of 6pm and goes back at 12am(ish). Speeds of 0.3kbs max being registered as i type in fact according to BT Speed Tester (which I still can't get to accept my MAC address due to its length!).

I'm well versed on all things 'connect' after reading most of the posts in here so I call up Sky... talk to 2 very reasonable guys in Newcastle, one of who is a manager and I vent that I would like Sky (the people i pay 80p/m to overall) to tell me why BT wholesale has throttled my Sky connect service. I request stats etc... all perfectly reasonable.

Nice guy that he was, the manager can't help at all stating they have no link to BT wholesales systems and calling them would end in them being told i'm on Traffic Management with no further info.... rubbish but expected i guess. MOst annoying is that they can't actually look up anything or call anyone to see if i am 100% on a traffic management process.

So frustrated off i go to BT technical 0800 number (as i pay BT line rental i am their customer too of course). The guy there (or in india as he clearly was) cannot grasp in anyway what i am asking about and tells me specifically that Sky are the only people that would hold useage stats. I can't begin to describe how shocking his English or technical knowledge was.... embaressing compared to Sky actually (and that doesn't say much normally!).

Ok long story over so now the questions.....

a) from people's experiance of 'throttling' how long does it last? I run a home business doing webdesign so its killing me!
      b) has anyone at all had it lifted by complaining to BT or Sky? If so how
      c) has anyone worked for either Sky or BT that knows who holds the info.... i can't see OFCOM being happy that i can't get user info for an account i pay for!
      d) In peoples opinion would migrating to BT actually give me any more clout over situations like this given i can't get anything more than an 8mbs connection.

All help welcome.... sorry if i'm ranting on old ground!!

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect - BT Traffic Management - My options (before i jump out the window!)

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerCUFC View Post
      Nice guy that he was, the manager can't help at all stating they have no link to BT wholesales systems and calling them would end in them being told i'm on Traffic Management with no further info.... rubbish but expected i guess. MOst annoying is that they can't actually look up anything or call anyone to see if i am 100% on a traffic management process.
      Well, that's rubbish. Sky CST (Customer Solutions Team) have access to fault diagnostics via btwholesale.com to check stats and such. 'EUDP' via a system called 'Iris' can also be checked to see if you've been in the top percentage of customer usage.

You need to be transferred to CST for this to be checked, but it'll likely be in vain as it'll just confirm the problem is Sky Connect in itself.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect - BT Traffic Management - My options (before i jump out the window!)

Very interesting indeed.... see I suspected there must be a way for them to do it. I mean i used to be a supply chain manager for 7 years and if i ever sub contracted a service (like BT wholesale) and didn't have a way to communicate with customers stats i'd have my dangly bits chopped off.
      Trick there i guess is actually getting to the CST team though. Anyone have any numbers or button presses that might work?

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

The problem with connect isn't so much throttling but pure and simple lack of bandwidth from Sky's end.

Sky has a fixed amount of bandwidth and as of 6 o'clock so many people are on it that the whole system comes to a complete halt.

I am on BT option 3 and I don't use p2p and so even with traffic management I see no slowdown, no throttling, I get my full 10 meg/sec and don't see any difference to what time of day I use it so it's not a BT issue as such.

Sky won't give you any sympathy with running your own business as the T&C's state it is a domestic product only.

If you moan enough though they will let you out of your contract with no penalty though.

As for running your own business you can go to a provider that supports business use.

IDnet has home and home office packages as well as full bsuiness packages and BT business top package is 18 per month ex VAT with a 50 gig useage limit which is 10gig more than connect.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Honestly, the best way would just be to call through on 08442410515 and suggest you have a slow connection to tier 1. If you mention that you're experiencing slowness only at peak times, then you'll be told it is traffic management off the bat. So, just go along with the questions that tier 1 may ask and eventually you'll likely end up with a ticket number for CST and be transferred through.

Be aware, though, that the information that CST have at hand for Connect customers is somewhat limited also.

Let's see your stats: How to get your router statistics

And do a speed test at: Test Result. Username is your mac address found on the bottom of the router with @skydsl at the end. i.e. 00F234239@skydsl

Paste up the full results.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've been saving screen dumps of the speed results.This is the latest:

I need to wait until midnight till i can do it again but as always as of 11pm i'm clearly off throttling cause its flying along at 4mbs now according to speednet.
      Router Stats as of right now (non throttled) are below:

System Up Time 04:49:28
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 20049 23324 0 247 1154 04:49:05
      LAN 10M/100M 37309 40877 0 1320 501 04:49:26
      WLAN 11M/54M 15764 4193 0 154 13 04:49:18

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 14.0 db 10.0 db
      Noise Margin 14.1 db 22.0 db

Adrian.... agree with what you are saying but option 3 isn't an option in my exchange.... 8mbs is max in this pokey village and Virgin are 30feet away on the main road but won't slip into my close (or i'd be on 50mbs in a heartbeat!!).

Exchange:
      Thanks

And sure enough the Midnight BT Test proves the point..... all back as it should be (and my dynamic IP back to the same it was before 6pm too).

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4252 Kbps
      For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
      Additional Information:
      Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

Throttling me down to 128kbs though is just insane. All in the village (if they are not with Virgin) must use the exchange loop so unless i was downloading thousands of gigs of data at peak times i just can't understand how it can be deemed as acceptable.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

the bandwidth issue isn't just a set amount for your village, it's a set amount for a huge block of connections combined together. (eg. multiple villages/ towns in an area). The only real option? Leave Sky Connect.

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Try another ISP.

Plusnet, traffic shape but at least tell you what you will get and the service is quite good.

O2 Access , is just as bad as Connext.

Zen, are very good but also expensive.

Before you decide to move reseach the options, visit thier forums and see what others using the service say. It is a mind field and I have got it wrong in the past and may do so again.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks both.

From researching further my options are still very small and they all use the BT line so I'd never have a real guarentee of not being throttled.

I just got the response to my email query to Sky... pleading for them to 'show me an example of good customer service to keep me with Sky'. They replied with a single line saying hello followed by a copy and paste of the terms and conditions.

I'm not surprised that a robotic person does this but seriously they've just opened up a can of complaint worms there now as it just takes the *****. I can at least fire back a response quoting someone from the CST team using Iris to check my stats now..... should be fun!

Meanwhile I'll take a look at Zen and Plusnet. Not heard good things on Plusnet personally but a carrierer pidgeon flying back and fourth to servers would be faster than connect under traffic management so anything would be good right now. 30 days+ of 123kbs is a scarey scarey prospect.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast