Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky Connect - BT Traffic Management - My options (before i jump out the window!)

This is a discussion on Sky Connect - BT Traffic Management - My options (before i jump out the window!) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; They can't remove the throttling, the syste, is governed automatically Just leave, it'll never get better until Sky invest hundreds ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect - BT Traffic Management - My options (before i jump out the window!)

They can't remove the throttling, the syste, is governed automatically

Just leave, it'll never get better until Sky invest hundreds of thousands of pounds in the product
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      OfficerCUFC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect - BT Traffic Management - My options (before i jump out the window!)

Just spoke to Zen. Very helpful as people say they would be. They quote 3-5 work days to get me out of my nightmare if i go with them so its just a matter of budget really now.

Best thing is i've got the DDI of the manager at Sky so i'll be calling him with the happy request of my MAC.

God help Zen's complaints department if BT throttle me on their behalf though..... I think i got the guy to guarentee no traffic management about 5 times on the recorded call!

Thanks

Why do you need to DDI, just call normal CS and go to cancellations

And as said before, BTW don't do the shaping - the ISP does, and Zen are very open with their shaping policy but if you do hit it you're taken to a page to buy more bandwidth which is a good idea IMO

Here's their page on Usage:

http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/bro...aqs.aspx#usage

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

1cst1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01458
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

it is probably worth noting that sky connect now runs through a cisco traffic management server instead of the older ellacoya system that they used to, It appears that this is slightly more advised in the packet inspection department so depending on what you are doing will depend on how slow you go, i.e general browsing isn't affected as much as streaming or P2P protocols. I used to be on sky connect for a long time before the exchange got unbundled and was syncing at 8 meg and could easily expect speeds as log as 600KBPS at very busy times. If your getting as low a 128 i would probable suggest you are being throttled other than managed due to excessive usage... unless something is wrong like a hot vp issue in the exchange

Thanks

Might explain why my parents BB is actually OK on Connect lately...had no issues over Crimbo

Exchange:
      Thanks

Interesting 1cst1 - Sky keep stating these new terms and conditions that quote that normal browsing will not be affected and only high bandwith apps will be slowed. For me though that is 100% not the case.... its all things internet that gets throttled. In 1.5hrs time for example it will take nearly 5 mins just to refresh this page.

Doesn't really matter now anyway because I've just requested the MAC code. I of course had to given reasons for wanting to leave. Once again I got a pleasent sympathetic ear from the advisor and Sky for all their faults deserve praise for having UK non robotic people.

Once again though the sympathetic ear that he had ended in an addmition that no one knows how to log onto BT Wholesale to check user stats. He was off into a team meeting in 10 mins so i suggested he raise it and that senior staff responsible for connect maybe check this site once in a while as there are countless pounds lost in cancellations just from issues like this.

All i ever wanted from Sky Connect (that has been fine until now) is the ability for someone to tell me in detail why and when i exceeded usage and by how much. For all I know someone hacked my Wireless and downloaded 50gb of dodgey material from a laptop in their car while i was away over Chrimbo afterall..... not being able to even inform a customer of this simple stats has lost them me (and lots more too i bet).

I'll follow it up with a letter to Which (consumers association) who i'm sure will enjoy reading Skys Connect t&cs about how 'they' constantly monitor useage' and 'they might slow users down' ...... when in fact it seems 'they' don't have a scooby dooooo about what connect users are actually doing as long as a Cisco server clicks in when someone downloads lots.

Meh.... its as i expected anyway and i look forward to seeing how Zen do now!

Thanks

CST can tell you in about 3 minutes when you went over your usage for that day - they can't tell you how

Basically, the 40GB is split between the days of the month and if you exceed the daily amount then you get hit the next day. If the next day you're below the daily usage it'll go back to 'normal' and so on. The longer you exceed your usage quota the longer you'll be shaped.

Sky actually WANT people to leave Connect as the package is extremely expensive - much more so than their own network - as they have to pay BTW the rental for the Centrals/support/etc. I think if Sky could close the service they would

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

DO NOT CANCEL Sky

Just ask for MAC.

Do not use the words cancel or terminate or any other simillar words, just MAC.

I am with Zen and for the 2nd time (total about 5 years), they are good so long as the instalation in your house is not faulty you will get what you can get. It will not be controled in any way apart from the total bandwidth usage and that is only download as upload is not counted to usage.

Like I said before it is monthly contracts so what do you have to lose?

They are only losing me because Sky has LLU my exchange and from what I have read it seems a good service but time will tell as I have made a mistake before going to O2 access.
      Last edited by BritBrat; 12-01-11 at 06:06 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I can understand why they'd want rid of Connect for sure although with BT upping all exchanges to Fibre by 2015 and the subsequent deals with BTW to follow from it all, I'd of thought they'd do a deal.... but thats the ex-supply chain manager in me talking and its always easy to suggest that compared to making it happen.

BitBrad - no worry there... being in the IT sector as long as I have I wasn't about to fall into the 'cancel' trap. MAC code is on its way by email (so with Connect i might get it by next Chrimbo) and I've assurances that the (slow) service from Sky will continue till Zen do their bit.

I'm not expecting miracles from Zen.... maybe a happy 4mbps via my WAG160N plugged into from my master socket. Anything more is a bonus but knowing at 6pm it won't sky dive is worth the 10 a month extra for sure.

Anyone know a good bandwidth monitor i can play with over the next day or so before the Zen change? .... just interested to see my useage over a standard day really.

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

JackDinns speed tester:
      broadbandhelper.co.uk

I don't think it shows usage just speeds.

Don't be to agressive with it maybe a test every 2 hours. Although I have had it running for weeks every 30 minutes in the past but don't do that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast