Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky Connect - BT Traffic Management - My options (before i jump out the window!)

This is a discussion on Sky Connect - BT Traffic Management - My options (before i jump out the window!) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You've also got to realise that Sky BB is a consumer service so if you need it for work either ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect - BT Traffic Management - My options (before i jump out the window!)

You've also got to realise that Sky BB is a consumer service so if you need it for work either pay for a business service (with no shaping and a guaranteed SLA) or move to a more expensive home service. You're going to get nothing out of Sky so you're better moving on to pastures new...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      OfficerCUFC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect - BT Traffic Management - My options (before i jump out the window!)

Yeah the business side is less of an issue to be honest and its not an arguement i'll be using in any complaints thats for sure. Most of my minor downloading for work purpose is out of peak times afterall (and its never more than average 50meg a day i'd say).

Thats partly the frustration really as I think downloading Flight Sim X for a friend (due to me having faster broadband them they do) caused me to be throttled.

If they could actually say to me "on X date you used Xmbs bandwith causing you to breach fair use and be placed in a Traffic Management program for Xdays" I'd actually probably just let it go.

Its the fact that I am now paying 15 per month with unusable internet in peak times now with no indication of why, no proof of breaking the T&C's and no indication of when service will resume as normal..... all together that is surely a breach of OFCOM's policies?

Thanks

You'd think so but if it was I'm sure there'd be a case against it by now, it's been this way well over a year - maybe even over 2

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerCUFC View Post
      Thanks both.

From researching further my options are still very small and they all use the BT line so I'd never have a real guarentee of not being throttled.
      Zen have no traffic managment and no port blocking and quite good caps now.

Yes, expensive but you do get what you pay for and only monthly contracts so when and if you can get a LLU service you can move,

I am with Zen and moving to Sky this week as they have recently LLU my exchange.
      http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadb...broadband.aspx

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Also even though the resell a BT product in fact each ISP rents out centrals from BT and Sky doesn't seem to have bought any other capacity since they started.

So the Zen BT network is different to Sky, which is different to IDNET etc etc etc.

so spending a few quid more a month may be the best thing and moving to an ISP who is operating with more than enough capacity.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Interesting.... I'm going to talk to a few ISP's today I think. If i can get a guarentee that they won't throttle my connection (or more importantly that BT Wholesale won't throttle their connection) then i'd be happy to pay more.

Given its a small exchange and hence lots of users on the same loop i think a business deal might be my only real option though. I'd hope BT wholesale will treat ISP's that offer business rates with a higher priority of the day to day consumer but from all this research I really do worry about it.
      Last thing i want to do is pay 30+ p/m only to find that while the ISP doesn't do traffic management, BT Wholesale still do at the exchange!

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Wholesale dont do anything to restrict the service the only thing that would is general exchange capacity.

Zen are monthly contracts so if it don't work out you can move but to be honnest if you have issues on Zen and their support can't fix it you will have issues with everyone.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Can i ask where/how you know that Wholesale don't do anything? I mean i can believe it but is it just something that has been said lots over the forum or a fact that you know is 100% accurate?

The reason I ask is that being a small village exchange that would mean that if its not Sky throttling me (which they maintain they have no control of), it would mean that everyone on the exchange loop for all broadband would suffer in the same way. As about the only IT consultant in a 10 mile region here I've not heard any issues from people and the lines I've tested at customers addresses (most using BT broadband) have been fine out of peak times.

It all leads me to think Sky are lying to me and given that their terms state things like "We will monitor your Sky Broadband usage during peak times" and "we may slow down your connection for the rest of the day" it should be Sky managing it.... and hence they must have the stats to manage it with.

Zen is looking very good i must say from reading up on them. 6 days to implement would mean I could get out of this nightmare before the standard 30 day - 3 month traffic management resolves itself. I'll call them anyway because if Sky are right and it is a BT wholesale or exchange restriction then Zen can't offer me the advertised product anyway lol

Either way my father is a Which (consumers association) subscriber so a letter will go to them. Can't let companies get away with this forever now can we! :-)

Thanks

The ISP buys capacity (Centrals) off BT and has a set bandwidth on those Centrals. The ISP governs how they wish to shape traffic through their Centrals. BTW just supply the access

1 exchange doesn't have it's own bandwidth, a set of exchanges will share one. To answer your other question, Sky DO have stats to show usage for each day

Exchange:
      Thanks

Seems the 'manager' at Sky that was very pleasent was talking a load of B.S then basically.... not that i'm really surprised by that.

I'll try the tier 1 route later today to see if I can find someone that can look up the data and remove my throttling (or at least prove to me that it was justified!). If at any point i get resistance it'll be MAC code request time for sure and a call to Zen too.

Anyone else use Zen at all and can comment?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast