Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Broadband Line set up

This is a discussion on Broadband Line set up within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I am in the process of moving over to Sky unlimited broadband and Sky talk,ive had sky tv for ...

DJourn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMCO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD3D+Multi
      Thanks

Broadband Line set up

Hi

I am in the process of moving over to Sky unlimited broadband and Sky talk,ive had sky tv for years (Sky HD and 2 multi rooms Sky+ and standard Sky box). I know the broadband will not be as fast as my present setup (virgin), but i would like to do whatever is needed to make it as fast as possible.
      I am 0.7miles from the exchange,the line coming into the building goes to a junction box (in Hallway) and from the junction box to the master terminal in the living room.
      Is it worth getting Open Reach to move the master socket to where the outside line comes in to do away with the junction box and then i can run a line from there to a terminal in the living room with a filtered face plate or should i just run a line from where the master socket is now.

Thanks
      David

2. Advertisement
      BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Broadband Line set up

What broadband are you going on?

If it is connect don't do it.

EDIT:
      Forget that you said unlmited.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Best would be:

- Replace junction box with master with filtered faceplate
      - Have router connected to this with a short DSL cable
      - Run Ethernet to devices needing a connection, or use Homeplugs. For casual browsing Wi-Fi will do
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As above, fit NTE5 in place of junction box and NTE2005 filtered faceplate. If not practical to plug router in here you can run a dedicated ADSL extension from there to where you want the router to go. How many extensions do you currently have? If you do not have any this may make zero difference. The above would also depend on how any extensions are currently wired as if they are wired to the current master then you can not replace the JB with an NTE5. In that case you would simply fit the NTE2005 to the current master(if NTE5, if not then replace with an NTE5) and filter all extensions from the ADSL. That CAN make a big difference. Openreach will charge a fair bit to do all that!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

DJourn (11-01-11)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

All the advice mentioned above is sound and I have already done much of what it has stated.

Additionally I have added a ferrous ring on the ADSL cable between my master box and the router.

Place your router away from any television or microwave if possible. Mine is about a metre from each (I live in a flat) but it works well. If you are too close, the the WiFi signal can be disrupted.

Once your router arrives, plug it in and leave it connected without turning it off for at least the first week once the ADSL has been connected. It is during this time that Sky will be running line tests, often in the middle of the night, to get their best from your connection. You can check on-line with you Sky account to see how the testing is progressing.

It has been mentioned about telephone extensions already. Most people do not have many, but some do. The quality of the wire in extensions, as well as their length, actually does reduce the signal quality for ADSL. A small investment in a wireless telephone system is a great idea. A Fax machine will benefit from a good telephone extension if it can't be located near the master socket.

You should see similar speeds to my own once it is all running. The upload speed doesn't get much higher than 1MB with sky The download speeds should be similar as my router is 800m from the exchange, by way of the actual telephone line.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

DJourn (11-01-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      As above, fit NTE5 in place of junction box and NTE2005 filtered faceplate. If not practical to plug router in here you can run a dedicated ADSL extension from there to where you want the router to go. How many extensions do you currently have? If you do not have any this may make zero difference. The above would also depend on how any extensions are currently wired as if they are wired to the current master then you can not replace the JB with an NTE5. In that case you would simply fit the NTE2005 to the current master(if NTE5, if not then replace with an NTE5) and filter all extensions from the ADSL. That CAN make a big difference. Openreach will charge a fair bit to do all that!
      As long as i get Openreach to replace the junction box with a new Master, i can then do the rest myself i persume. Unfortunatley i would need to run out of the Master to where the Router will be. At the moment there is only a master as my phone system is Virgin. I will only need one socket for phone as they are hands free, and i will need two additional sockets to plug Sky Multi Room boxes into as i believe these have to be connected to a phone line at all times.

David

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DJourn View Post
      As long as i get Openreach to replace the junction box with a new Master, i can then do the rest myself i persume. Unfortunately i would need to run out of the Master to where the Router will be. At the moment there is only a master as my phone system is Virgin. I will only need one socket for phone as they are hands free, and i will need two additional sockets to plug Sky Multi Room boxes into as i believe these have to be connected to a phone line at all times.
      A standard extension to your main sky box should be sufficient. You can get these from many electrical stores. Do tack it in place properly so as to avoid feet wearing it out.

It may not be necessary to connect the 2nd box. Call Sky CS and see what they suggest. Remember that it is only an official requirement for the 1st 12 months and a practical issue if you want to watch Sky Box Office.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJourn View Post
      As long as i get Openreach to replace the junction box with a new Master, i can then do the rest myself i persume. Unfortunatley i would need to run out of the Master to where the Router will be. At the moment there is only a master as my phone system is Virgin. I will only need one socket for phone as they are hands free, and i will need two additional sockets to plug Sky Multi Room boxes into as i believe these have to be connected to a phone line at all times.

David
      The official line used to be you can't touch anything upstream of an NTE5. BT's Indian call centres are now advising customers they CAN fit their own masters! So long as the correct socket is used(NTE5) and Openreach engineer would not have a problem.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

The official line used to be you can't touch anything upstream of an NTE5. BT's Indian call centres are now advising customers they CAN fit their own masters! So long as the correct socket is used(NTE5) and Openreach engineer would not have a problem.
      Thats interesting

Thanks

Has anybody else heard this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast