Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Sky Unlimited Broadband gone slow in the last few days

This is a discussion on Sky Unlimited Broadband gone slow in the last few days within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Like i've posted on the Sky forum - at least they've acknowledged that there's a problem now! And they've pledged ...

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

re: Sky Unlimited Broadband gone slow in the last few days

Like i've posted on the Sky forum - at least they've acknowledged that there's a problem now! And they've pledged to fix it - which let's face it, they're going to have to do as it will only get worse and worse if left as it is!
      All facts point to Anytime+ as the culprit, issues reported since November - exactly the same time as the Anmytime+ rollout; increasing reports of issues from December - when Anytime+ was enabled as default on new installs etc etc - i'm guessing the continued roll-out to the rest of the HD boxes will need to be put on hold until the network issue can be fixed! Kind of embarassing that no-one at Sky thought rolling it out could affect the network so badly!
      The only decent step Sky can take now is to fix this quickly - saving face and hopefully some PR by upgrading the network 'all for the same great price' etc etc

2. Advertisement
      RoystonVasey is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yesterday the sky status page said "minor" issue and last night it was indeed awful as usual but today it says "no issues".
      Hopefully it's been resolved or does it mean there are no issues until tea time???!!??

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It's those Stroppy princesses downloading half the internet off the ads.

I notice they say that "Sky won't slow you down", no just a lack of bandwidth might though.

When Sky started going on about truly unlimited I forsaw that they would attract extremely heavy users and I think that they may be looking at the consequenses of that marketing ploy.

I saw on another forum somebody say that they would like FTTC but as they download 400-500 gig a month the BT limits are too severe at 300 gig and they would stay on Sky for now.

You don't need too many people like that on a network to start degrading performance.

If they don't watch out though they could be looking at a similar situation to what happened to connect
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The 'issue' isn't reported on Sky Service Status - Home any more, nor is it even on Sky's internal faults page, but ironically my last call today was a customer with this issue. Syncing in at 20mbps (100 odd meters from the exchange), numerous devices via ethernet cable taking about 200ms to get to the second hop (drx.hobir.isp.sky.com).

It's definitely still ongoing.

poorbroadband is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Time to do a little proving wrong. Sky don't throttle on Max eh? Ok download a torrent with lots of seeders and let's see what speeds you get then Wait for it to hit 7.30. Record with a cam or screen capture and upload your speed to youtube.. And no faking it. Go for it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poorbroadband View Post
      Time to do a little proving wrong. Sky don't throttle on Max eh? Ok download a torrent with lots of seeders and let's see what speeds you get then Wait for it to hit 7.30. Record with a cam or screen capture and upload your speed to youtube.. And no faking it. Go for it.
      I think I missed the point where you proved people wrong. Try harder next time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      The 'issue' isn't reported on Sky Service Status - Home any more, nor is it even on Sky's internal faults page, but ironically my last call today was a customer with this issue. Syncing in at 20mbps (100 odd meters from the exchange), numerous devices via ethernet cable taking about 200ms to get to the second hop (drx.hobir.isp.sky.com).

It's definitely still ongoing.
      If you don't maind me asking, and obviously without disclosing and private information - What was the outcome of that particular call? Was the customer persuaded into believing that there is no problem? - Apologies - it's just a lot of people on the Sky forum appear to be calling up to be told there's no problem, even when there's tonnes of posts about it on their own website!

I would be interested to know though what the result of that call was!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayhab View Post
      If you don't maind me asking, and obviously without disclosing and private information - What was the outcome of that particular call? Was the customer persuaded into believing that there is no problem? - Apologies - it's just a lot of people on the Sky forum appear to be calling up to be told there's no problem, even when there's tonnes of posts about it on their own website!

I would be interested to know though what the result of that call was!!
      Unless anyone else has been briefed otherwise (please any other Sky advisors here chime in and correct me if need be), I'm under the impression that Fault Management are still investigating it but there is no ETA.

The outcome of the call was that the case is still open and we'll monitor until resolved.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

jayhab (16-01-11)

Thanks

Thanks for that - it's what i'm assuming the case to be too as I wouldn't think it would be too wise for Sky to be brushing this one under the rug eh!

Any ideas why the fault has disappeared off of the service status page?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poorbroadband View Post
      I think that you are totally missing the point. The speed of torrents peek in accordance with what others are uploading, not whether Sky are shaping the traffic.

If you are on a private torrent site, then your download of a movie could take less than 10 mins from a seed box. Typically public site users don't use seed boxes, so you won't get the peek speed of your line.

The problem that has been discussed in this thread is with regards to a larger problem in that there seems to be too much traffic in certain areas of the country for the equipment to handle. I hope that this problem has been resolved by now though, otherwise it sounds like Sky's successful campaign to get people on it's unlimited BB has been it's undoing.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast