Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sky Unlimited Broadband gone slow in the last few days

This is a discussion on Sky Unlimited Broadband gone slow in the last few days within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm having the same problem too! As above, all been fine for ages, then the last few nights at peak ...

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

re: Sky Unlimited Broadband gone slow in the last few days

I'm having the same problem too!

As above, all been fine for ages, then the last few nights at peak times - ping goes from 35ms upto 250ms+

Have called sky and spoken to CST who have done some tests - line is all ok, however they stated that it is now a known issue that they have been receiving numerous calls about! - They assured me that it has been forwarded to the investigations team, unfortunately there is not currently an ETA for any fix!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Connection stats? Wireless? Have you tried everything your end? Test socket?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

In work at the mo - so can't post stats - but they are fine (apart from the high pings) - same as they have been for the last 12 months or so. I'm hard-wired, and the set-up at home is tip-top, filters and sockets all checked, and besides, the problem only kicks in during the evening, and then clears at around 11pm - this morning for example, everything back to normal and pings are 37ms!

From reading on the Sky forums, there are a couple of people local to me that are having the same issue - Sky CST confirmed last night that the problem definately does not lie at my end, they know about it and are working on it (apparently?)
      Fingers crossed they manage to fix it soon!

poorbroadband is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky don't just throttle you, they control absolutely everything about your connection. How do I know this? The distinct lack of fluctuation. Everything about your connection seems 'fixed'. Connect or not, my connection should not feel 'fixed' like this all the time. I.E A speed test will say 6mb but my browsing speed will feel 'controlled', straight line fixed, with a distinct lack of fluctuation

Thanks

You're on Connect and so cannot comment in any way on any of the LLU connections. Yes, Connect IS fixed - it's well documented and well known. Traffic shaping affects certain port ranges so some traffic will have priority over others. If you're getting 6Mbps on a speed test then that shows that the connection is fine and it's the shaping causing the slow down.

LLU connection are NOT fixed and issues either arise from end user setup OR exchange issues. Otherwise you get whatever you can sync at, 24/7

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IWasNotTheEnemy For This Useful Post:

jayhab (07-01-11)

Thanks

Ok - had a phonecall today from Sky, advising that they have found the problem: it has been traced to a faulty uplink that several exchanges in the North Wales /North West area all connect to, it appears to be 'struggling' at peak times, it will be upgraded however, at present there is no ETA for a solution and it could take 'weeks'.
      At least thats my mind at rest now, and it will get fixed....eventually!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jayhab For This Useful Post:

coastline (08-01-11)

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poorbroadband View Post
      Sky don't just throttle you, they control absolutely everything about your connection. How do I know this? The distinct lack of fluctuation. Everything about your connection seems 'fixed'. Connect or not, my connection should not feel 'fixed' like this all the time. I.E A speed test will say 6mb but my browsing speed will feel 'controlled', straight line fixed, with a distinct lack of fluctuation
      Your posts are incredibly frustrating to read. How do I know this? You rhyme off fiction as fact without ANY proof at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayhab View Post
      Ok - had a phonecall today from Sky, advising that they have found the problem: it has been traced to a faulty uplink that several exchanges in the North Wales /North West area all connect to, it appears to be 'struggling' at peak times, it will be upgraded however, at present there is no ETA for a solution and it could take 'weeks'.
      That's good to know, at least they know what's going on

coastline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOC
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thanks for that. I live in Conwy on LLU and had noticed peak time problems recently but hadn't had any time to investigate. At least I'm not going mad!

Can you post if you get any more info or see any improvement on your connection.

Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coastline View Post
      Thanks for that. I live in Conwy on LLU and had noticed peak time problems recently but hadn't had any time to investigate. At least I'm not going mad!

Can you post if you get any more info or see any improvement on your connection.

Thanks.
      No problem! - This afternoon I had 2 forced re-syncs on my router and after each one I noticed that i'm now routed through a different easynet server when doing a tracert to bbc.co.uk: from the routing table, I believe the 'hop' that is now different is the one after leaving my exchange - so fingers crossed they've been pdg and swapped out the faulty equipment or routing us elsewhere until they can. Either way, I guess i'll know for sure come 7pm!

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast