Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Sky Unlimited Broadband gone slow in the last few days

This is a discussion on Sky Unlimited Broadband gone slow in the last few days within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I didnt realise sky didnt maintain their own lines. (I thought that was the reason behind them unbundling from BT ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky Unlimited Broadband gone slow in the last few days

I didnt realise sky didnt maintain their own lines. (I thought that was the reason behind them unbundling from BT's lines).
      The maintenance of the equipment including the line is down to BTO. The unbundling involves putting their own equipment into the exchange, the actual work will be carried out by BTO or subcontractors.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madshaun1984 View Post
      I've just been told there are errors building up on my line, it appears I've gotten through to an agent that can actually see theres an issue and has even stated that my lines definatly not right and is capable of more.

This im happy with and can except, I was more annoyed with being told im wrong and that the line cant handle over a 17000 sync rate when it clearly can and has.

Hopefully this will get resolved sooner rather than later, but thanks to the agent im currently waiting for a call back from im quite happy to wait that bit longer and see what happens.

Also just to let you know, my router syncing at a set limit under 17000, is not an issue with my internal setup and can only be an issue with the exchange/my line externally. Its also not a coincdence the work has taken place at my local exchange and yet again I have lost speed, but I didnt realise sky didnt maintain their own lines. (I thought that was the reason behind them unbundling from BT's lines).
      If you were capped at 17Mbps then you'd see more left over with the noise margin. Sky's default is 7dB so if you were capped this would be higher. You've got a throughput issue so it's no good saying there's nothing wrong at your end as you've never said how you're setup.

Are you running in the master? Have you a test socket to try? Are you using Wi-Fi

If you try and help us help you it'll be a lot less hassle then being defensive all the time. Just cause you've not changed anything doesn't mean nothing's gone wrong
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

madshaun1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kidbrooke
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have an engineer going to the exchange to see if there are issues there, then if need be they will come to my house to find that the issue isnt here lol (this is happening in the morning).

Sky's tier2 team seem to think that the way in which my broadband (and anyone elses on the estate around me) has been changed so the line runs through the estate then back to the exchange rather than to the estate then split off to individual houses while remaining on a backbone (if you get what I mean) meaning over all my speed will no longer be able to go above 17mb.

The issue I face now is if I want a stable line, I will have my connection dropped from 19 - 20mb to 10mb or if I prefer spped, I can have my router synced at just under 16000 but will experience all the issues I've faced over the last month.

My stance on this is if BT have "upgarded" the line and customers are actually losing speed then they should be instructed by sky to fix the issue and restore normal service to the lines that are affected.

Sky's view is rather different and that I should just accept the new speed and keep my mouth shut.

I had to have an hour long arguement with tier2 on the principals of what an "upgrade" means, that I should not of lost speed twice over the course of 4 years (conviniently when any work is carried out at the local exchange). And that no matter what if my line was capable of 23mb original I should be able to get at least very least 18 -19mb on my line (as it was before the last "upgrade" at the exchange).

That without being an asshole (which I really feel like being) and demanding my original speed which was 21mb giving me an actual download speed of 2.5mbps. 1.8mbps download speed on an upto 20mb contract is quite acceptable to me, as I know thats what my line is capable of while remaining stable (even though it was very stable and error free at 21mb).

If this issue isnt resolved tomorrow, I'll be leaving sky, as its kind of obvious now they dont have decent customer relations and dont actually care about the end user. All they actually want to do is keep you quiet about the issues your experiencing and fob you off with lame excuses and answers.

If sky cant handle having BT manage thier lines then they shouldnt be playing around with broadband, I mean it doesnt take a genious to see im correct in this matter, and that by losing speed its not an upgrade but in actual affect the upgrade has failed for its existing customers, although I bet the new customers are happy as hell.

Unfortuantly for them they will eventually be in the same boat and will find themselves being screwed over.

I am hoping sky are able to remedy this issue tomorrow in which case I will post back with an update, but my advice to all those customers on the kidbrooke exchange is to check your speeds, and if you find you have lost speed since the end of december, phone sky and give them hell, the worst they can do now is actaully fix the issue by growing a backbone and getting BT back out to put the lines in the area back the way they were then upgrade the area correctly.

Also I have a feeling part of the reason sky arent that willing to chase this up is the new fivbre service thats coming our way, but if they can get things trhis wrong with adsl I hate to see the issues they have with that. You only have to look at virgin media's fibre service to see what trouble they could and likely will run into.

And on BT's part, I cant belive they allowed this kind of thing to happen, but then again we're not thier customers directly, so why would they care? (wouldnt suprise me if this kind of thing is done on purpose to push people into leaving sky's network in the hopes that the customer will join them, well thats not the case here I already know BT are worse if not just as bad as sky when it comes to correcting issues).

Also just to point out how bad my speed is at the moment (and I know its not the worst speed here, but its still a pain in the backside), I just ran a tracert to twitter.com

Tracing route to twitter.com [168.143.171.180]
      over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms www.routerlogin.com [192.168.0.1]
      2 33 ms 31 ms 32 ms dr0.bllon.isp.sky.com [89.200.128.36]
      3 32 ms 32 ms 32 ms vl190.ar8.bllon.isp.sky.com [89.200.135.170]
      4 83 ms 68 ms 34 ms 83.231.221.45
      5 35 ms 35 ms 34 ms ae-1.r22.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.233]
      6 106 ms 106 ms 148 ms as-0.r22.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.254]
      7 103 ms 104 ms 104 ms ae-0.r23.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.73]
      8 128 ms 153 ms 129 ms ae-1.r20.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.9]
      9 125 ms 125 ms 133 ms ae-0.r21.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.5]
      10 217 ms 218 ms 214 ms ae-4.r20.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.103]
      11 204 ms 201 ms 204 ms ae-2.r20.mlpsca01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.6]
      12 190 ms 190 ms 191 ms mg-1.c20.mlpsca01.us.da.verio.net [129.250.28.81]
      13 210 ms 217 ms 224 ms 128.121.150.157
      14 212 ms 212 ms 214 ms 168.143.171.165
      15 228 ms 217 ms 227 ms 168.143.171.180

Trace complete.

and another one to youtube.com

Tracing route to youtube.com [74.125.47.93]
      over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms www.routerlogin.com [192.168.0.1]
      2 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms dr0.bllon.isp.sky.com [89.200.128.36]
      3 32 ms 32 ms 32 ms vl190.ar8.bllon.isp.sky.com [89.200.135.170]
      4 32 ms 33 ms 80 ms 72.14.219.252
      5 33 ms 33 ms 33 ms 209.85.255.76
      6 131 ms 109 ms 104 ms 216.239.43.192
      7 124 ms 124 ms 124 ms 209.85.251.9
      8 130 ms 125 ms 125 ms 72.14.232.215
      9 126 ms 124 ms 123 ms 209.85.253.169
      10 124 ms 124 ms 124 ms yw-in-f93.1e100.net [74.125.47.93]

Trace complete.
      Last edited by madshaun1984; 16-02-11 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks

Why don't you ask some of the other LLU operators and even BT as they have ADSL2+ enabled on your exchange, what speed they could supply you with? All the top ISPs are on your exchange so if they say you could get 20Mb, this could give you some ammunition in your argument with Sky.
      wouldnt suprise me if this kind of thing is done on purpose to push people into leaving sky's network
      Me neither, there are many cases on here where BT seem to have made very basic mistakes in connecting up Sky customers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madshaun1984 View Post
      ...Sky's tier2 team seem to think that the way in which my broadband (and anyone elses on the estate around me) has been changed so the line runs through the estate then back to the exchange rather than to the estate then split off to individual houses while remaining on a backbone (if you get what I mean) meaning over all my speed will no longer be able to go above 17mb.
      As much as I really feel sorry for you. This indicates that it was not Sky's fault and you would get the same problem whether you were with TalkTalk, Sky, BT, AOL, or any other ISP.

As to why it has been done is anyone's guess. Any faulty cable should have been replaced.

It is down to BT Openreach to resolve if this is the problem.

If your discussions are as long as your posts, then it can be difficult to cut through the surplus facts to get to the real issue. Try to keep things focused, even though you are likely to feel really upset over this.

To help, I'd highly recommend that you take the time to write down a summary of your issues this evening. This will help you tremendously IMHO.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      As much as I really feel sorry for you. This indicates that it was not Sky's fault and you would get the same problem whether you were with TalkTalk, Sky, BT, AOL, or any other ISP.

As to why it has been done is anyone's guess. Any faulty cable should have been replaced.

It is down to BT Openreach to resolve if this is the problem.

If your discussions are as long as your posts, then it can be difficult to cut through the surplus facts to get to the real issue. Try to keep things focused, even though you are likely to feel really upset over this.

To help, I'd highly recommend that you take the time to write down a summary of your issues this evening. This will help you tremendously IMHO.
      Its kind of hard to keep things in focus when the guy on the other end of the phone "apparently cant look at your previous calls logs, or speeds. Its even more difficult to be focused and to the point when the answer you get (to a pretty obvious problem) is that there is nothing that can be done.

The guy on the phone was very unwilling to get an engineer out, (hence the hour long convo on whats wrong with that, and basically the work BTO have done is final it will not be resolved/fixed/corrected at anytime soon.

I have realsied that the issue would affect me on all networks, as after reading back my post, I realised that if the line has been altered, then the alteration is permanently going to limit my speed to 17mb (thanks for pointing it out though), which is even more unacceptable than just a 2mb drop.

Also sorry for my long rant like posts, they are exactly what they seem, rants froma very unhappy sky customer, who actually feels better for getting it out in writing somewhere they will hopefully help others to realise there might be an issue with their line.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

No worries. Hopefully my comments are helpful and certainly writing things down can help you to focus on the specific when you discuss the issues on the phone.

It can be good fun reminding anyone on a telephone conversation that you've already advised them of a particular issue.

Also perhaps another thing to use for the future: Always make notes when you are on the telephone. Especially when asking for things, this can be very useful.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I didn't notice your tracert when I last posted but I think I should point out that the delay only occurs when you are crossing the Pond. Any tracert/ping to USA is going to experience delays.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I didn't notice your tracert when I last posted but I think I should point out that the delay only occurs when you are crossing the Pond. Any tracert/ping to USA is going to experience delays.
      Heres a result of a ping test on my line on the maidenhead server (if I remember correctly my ping used to average 20 -30 with at most a jitter of 2 there certainly wasnt any packet loss),

This one was done straight after posting this post with the first result,

and this one after the last (so random),

Thanks

According to mine you have a really crap line.

I would not trust the results from anything connected to speedtest.net

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast