Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Sky Unlimited Broadband gone slow in the last few days

This is a discussion on Sky Unlimited Broadband gone slow in the last few days within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am on the kidbrooke exchange, (have been for 4 years). I was gutted when sky unlooped the line as ...

madshaun1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kidbrooke
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky Unlimited Broadband gone slow in the last few days

I am on the kidbrooke exchange, (have been for 4 years). I was gutted when sky unlooped the line as I lost 1+mb off my router sync.

Now I dont know what the hell they are playing at but I've noticed my speeds have been creeping down more and more recently, to the point, I've had enough.

I phoned sky's cst, to be told it was an adsl filter issue (I've worked with computers/internet issues for long enough to know that wasnt the case).

What I dont understand is why a big company like sky, doesnt delay adding new customers onto the network (or explain to them the situation and keep their speeds low), rather than effect existing customers services.

Incase you cant tell I am really ****ed off with the way sky treat their existing customers, so many new customers sign up dont pay and manage to keep the equipment its unbelievable, yet loyal customers have to pay full price most of the time to upgrade (while still being locked back into contracts), shouldnt new and existing customers get the same deal's/treatment?

As for the speed drops, heres my result, I am now getting under half what I was originally (before sky unlooped) able to get (23mb).

Namesco BroadbandMax Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL connection speed

I used speedtest.net and found its results were quite false (I've never had a good true result from speedtest.net).

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1144501691.png

another one from bbmax straight after the speedtest.net one

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/res...216&v=12036877

Yet bbmax normally shows my true speed (and is now) which since unlooping is around 1.8mb/s (or 18000+kbps) but as you can see is now suffering.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

This issue isn't down to Sky's treating of customers, it's a backhaul network issue. This could happen to any ISP and will be fixed as soon as they know what's causing the issue. Unfortunately it's taken Sky a while
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

If its a backhaul issue why the hell did sky allow so many new users onto the network, when its quite clear the existing users would be effected.

The work to fix this issue was supposed to of been completed on the 11 feb for the kidbrooke exchange, yet my speed is now down to randomly around 6000mbs on a speedtest, and the sky lv2 cst cant get my line over 17000 sync rate on my router.

Bearing in mind I lost 2mb's sync rate last time sky "upgraded" my line, I've now lost another 2mb's sync rate and my downstream speed is heavily limited.

I've been offered no compensation for the inconvineance of this issue. and I can no longer even stream youtube vids smoothly (without a buffer every 2 seconds of video).

I'll be ringing sky's cst again tomorrow, and if this issue isnt resolved there and then, will be leaving sky broadband.

I've had it, plain and simple. The final straw was my new neighbour is gloating about his new broadband being 20mbs (sync rate of 19000+) when my speed is so heavily effected. If sky continue to treat existing customers like this in favour of new customers, they'll soon find they have no customers left to **** off.

Thanks

Best get leaving as it's not something that can be fixed 'there and then' - unless by some HUGE coincidence it's done at the time you call

Baring in mind you still get more than the average on Sky BB and it's still MORE than usable I would've thought having some patience might've been on people's minds...yes it's inconvenient but it's not the end of the world is it?

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

ianparrynw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberconwy
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

i was on a affected exchange llandudno and and has been fixed here speeds amazing::

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Best get leaving as it's not something that can be fixed 'there and then' - unless by some HUGE coincidence it's done at the time you call

Baring in mind you still get more than the average on Sky BB and it's still MORE than usable I would've thought having some patience might've been on people's minds...yes it's inconvenient but it's not the end of the world is it?
      I'm currently compiling xbmc on the ps3 (again), And am finding it such a slow process I've all but given up. The only reason im having so much grief (aside from issues with compiling it on the ps3 from there not being a current port for the ps3) is my download speed. I'm having to hunt back through svn's to find the one I used before (lost my notes in a recent motherboard failure), so download 1gb every 2.5 hours (at my current speed) is a nightmare.

I've lost just under 2mb of actual download speed over the last 2 time sthey have worked on my exchange. (4mb sync rate at my router equating to 1.3mb actually download speed lost on my line isnt convinient)

If it wasnt for the fact that on both occasions sky have done work on the exchange (supposedly upgrading the exchange) I have lost 2000kbps worth of sync rate on my router I wopuldnt be so bothered, but its not very likely that the same amount of speed be lost on two seperate occasions.

Its more likely sky have limited my line in order to get new users onto the network, which in my book isnt acceptable. My line is capable of a 23000kbps sync, I've had a 21000 sync rate in the past yet, now im capped at under 17000 and my actual speed isnt reflecting the sync rate... instead it appears my "unlimited" package is indeed subject to traffic management, which actually breaks my consumer rights.

I'm (and anyone else in this position) am entitled to cancel my contract for a full refund (im not under contract anymore which is likely why my speed is poor yet my neighbour who is a new customer is enjoying the speeds I should have) but I've been paying for a service since early january that hasnt been delivered in full!

All of these things dont add up to acceptable, they add up to down right annoying!, and to top it of, I phoned sky's cst for a follow up and to point out that the work is indeed happening at my local exchange (as they didnt have a clue when I phoned last) what was going on. Only to be told by a lv1 representative that I couldnt speak to lv2 cause it hadnt been 72 hours since the ticket was raised (rediculous, I was told I'd be called back in 24 hours and wasnt), then when I explained that the sky service updates page has details of my exchange having work going on, I was quite rudely told that if I have spoken to lv2 they would know that the work was taking place, and I was lying to the agent. (what ever happened to the customers always right?).

Sky as always have handled this situation poorly, I even had a call from a cst member checking to see if my line was ok after the upgrade was completed, who didnt have a clue how to actually handle what she was asking me, and had to pass it on to someone else to look at stating my line only actually takes 17mbs (which if they looked at the logs from my previous calls that were successfully sorted they would see is definatly not the case).

I have a call coming my way on friday, but im not expecting to see my line issues resolved or my speed restored (I learnt that lesson the first time 2mbs disappeared from my line).

First thing tomorrow I'll be searching money supermarket to see which broadband bundle best suits me, by a provider that can actually handle giving em what im paying for, and not try and fob me off with what ever speed they feel like, so they can line there pockets with new customers cash.

I'll also be moving my tv and phone services as I dont appreciate being treated this way, and wont be coming back to sky for any reason (I'd rather have no services than the crappy service sky are actually providing).

Thanks

Sky LLU connections are NOT traffic shaped. IT IS A BACKHAUL ISSUES AFFECTING A GROUP OF EXCHANGES WHICH WILL GET FIXED AS AND WHEN THEY CAN FIND THE CAUSE

If Sky WERE shaping then everyone ALL OVER THE COUNTRY would be affected. Shaping isn't done to sign up new people, it's done to limit CERTAIN traffic to allow people to get the same experience.

You keep believing Sky are being underhand but, as with most people thinking they're better than Sky, you'll be proved wrong eventually.

As for losing 2Mbps, have you thought posting your stats might help? Has your noise margin increased with the lower speeds? If not, and it's around 7dB then Sky have done NOTHING to the sync speed as it's just the line reacting the noise levels at the point of resync

Thanks

my line attenuation is up from 14 to 19 on my downloads, other than that, my line isnt capable of being taken over 17000 sync rate on the router but nothing else has changed.

There has been some sort of cap put on the line, but the guys over at sky's cst seem to have no control to get round it.

If there wasnt a cap then my line would be more than capable of a 19000 sync rate, and my actual download speed wouldnt be so heavily affected (even with my 16000+ sync rate atm im only actually getting a download speed of 800kbps (much less than the 1.8mbs before this upgrade and a great deal less then when I first joined sky and was getting 2.5mbs actual download speed).

If its not traffic shaping then sky or the enginners at the exchange or both just fail as I had a phone call yesterday asking if all was ok affter the upgrade was completed (which it clearly isnt) and was told my line isnt capable of over 17000.

And im using youtube as an example, but I cant even watch a youtube clip without it buffering every 2 secs of clip shown, which is highly annoying considering im paying for the highest package sky offer and am actually getting close to what their lowest package offers.

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/res...151&v=12130510 <--- this is my latest speedtest result.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 6559 7381 0 960 4065 00:26:15
      LAN 100M/Full 7499 7622 0 4052 1165 00:27:02
      WLAN 11M/54M 889 0 0 129 0 00:26:49
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16932 kbps 985 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19 db 8 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 7 db

^ and my stats at the router.

Thanks

As I said, with your noise margin at 7dB there's no cap. Something has changed physically on the line. This is out of Sky's control as they don't maintain the line

I'm not saying there aren't issue when there clearly is, what I'm saying is the reasoning behind your theory is flawed. The back haul is regional and is having issues during peak hours. It might even be down to the introduction of AnyTime+ - Sky might've well underestimated the number of people wanting to stream content on their connections

The fact that some of the affected exchanges seem to have been fixed would suggest it's a network issue in your area which is taking longer than expected to resolve. The choice is yours to leave but sod's law you move and it gets fixed.

How are you connected to the router out of interest? The speed issues should only affect connections during peak hours so there's something else happening if that's the speed you've got this morning. If you're using Wi-Fi try an Ethernet connection. If you're running on an extension try the master, etc...

It seems something else is happening with your connection as opposed to the exchange itself

Thanks

I've just been told there are errors building up on my line, it appears I've gotten through to an agent that can actually see theres an issue and has even stated that my lines definatly not right and is capable of more.

This im happy with and can except, I was more annoyed with being told im wrong and that the line cant handle over a 17000 sync rate when it clearly can and has.

Hopefully this will get resolved sooner rather than later, but thanks to the agent im currently waiting for a call back from im quite happy to wait that bit longer and see what happens.

Also just to let you know, my router syncing at a set limit under 17000, is not an issue with my internal setup and can only be an issue with the exchange/my line externally. Its also not a coincdence the work has taken place at my local exchange and yet again I have lost speed, but I didnt realise sky didnt maintain their own lines. (I thought that was the reason behind them unbundling from BT's lines).

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast