Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

slow speed sky unlimited

This is a discussion on slow speed sky unlimited within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi, I'm posting for a friend who has sky unlimited. I got the following numbers from the router's statistics page ...

christmasTree is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

slow speed sky unlimited

hi,

I'm posting for a friend who has sky unlimited. I got the following numbers from the router's statistics page when it is connected to a...

... slave socket:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 896 kbps 800 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 9.1 db 9.0 db

... master socket:

Connection Speed 1856 kbps 800 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 8.0 db

... master test socket:
      Connection Speed 1856 kbps 800 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 13.3 db 9.0 db

The attached picture shows the result of
      ::. Kitz - ADSL line and exchange checker .::.

As you can see the downstream improved when we plugged the router into the master plug. However, I think that sky told him that he could get up to 3 or 4 mbit.

::. Kitz - Max speed calculator .:: calculates a line length of 4.3km although the adslchecker.php shows an approx. line length of 2.41km. Is this deviation feasible?

As the Noise Margin grew from 7.3 to 13.3db when moving from the master socket to the master test socket I wonder why the connection speed did not improve? Does that mean sky has set a limit for the downstream?

I thought about buying an XTE-2005 faceplate but as there's no improvement between the master socket and the master test socket I don't think that this would improve the performance?

thanks for your help
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slow speed sky unlimited-speeds.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: slow speed sky unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by christmasTree View Post
      As the Noise Margin grew from 7.3 to 13.3db when moving from the master socket to the master test socket I wonder why the connection speed did not improve? Does that mean sky has set a limit for the downstream?

I thought about buying an XTE-2005 faceplate but as there's no improvement between the master socket and the master test socket I don't think that this would improve the performance?

thanks for your help
      Yes, sky's DLM system has capped the sync rate to keep the connection stable, you'd need to sort out the extension wiring (see http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm) and then get him to call sky support and tell them you've sorted a problem with your internal wiring and ask them to adjust the sync rate for the line.