Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Two questions ....

This is a discussion on Two questions .... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I moved house at the end of November and decided to go with Sky; in my previous house I was ...

peter_964rs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01372
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Two questions ....

I moved house at the end of November and decided to go with Sky; in my previous house I was with BT.

Two questions.....

1. When we use the land line, we lose broadband. It comes back about a minute after we put the phone down again. There is only one phone in the house (with a second radio DECT phone in the kitchen) but every phone socket has a microfilter in it even if nothing is plugged in to that socket.
      2. The wireless range of the Sagem router is abysmal and I've had to move it between rooms as needed to enable us to surf from either end of the house. I've read various posts on this subject and tried changing the channel but to no avail. So I thought I'd use a Netgear DG834 router I have spare, plugged in to the Sagem which continues to handle ADSL to avoid breeching the Sky T&Cs, and get our Macbooks to connect to the Netgear wirelessly instead and then route through the wire->Sagem to the internet. What do I need to configure and do to make this work (if it is indeed possible)?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Two questions ....

Are you using the master telephone socket? Also, when you say there is a filter on every socket in use is the filter the first thing connected as some people mistake the telephone splitter that is used for the Sky tv box for a filter.

Easen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

1. Try disconnecting everything from your phone line. Connect your router and then add one of your phones and test if your connection still drops. Do this systematically for all your phone connected devices (Sky TV, additional phones fax machine, etc)

2. I too have a DG834, from my experience you cannot set it up as a wireless extender, or a separate WiFi access points and use another ADSL modem (in your case this is your sagem). What you can do is extract your Sky ADSL username and password and use your Netgear routing for connecting to broadband, but as you aware this will invalidate your T+Cs.

2b) It is possible to flash your router is a a v1-4 (not v5) with the custom firmware from DGTeam (DGTeam - The Custom DG834XX Series Router Firmware Web Site). This will allow you to convert your router in a WiFi extender. Please be aware you do this at your own risk, it is possible to brick your router.

peter_964rs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01372
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Thanks both

As far as I know, we are using the master socket... but how would I check this?

There is only one phone in the house which is a Panasonic DECT phone with a satellite phone in the kitchen; this doesn't plug into a phone socket but uses the Panasonic base station which is in the bedroom over radio. So there is only one device other than the Sky Sagem router plugged into any phone socket in the house.

Easen - just to clarify, there is no way to use the Sagem purely as an ADSL modem and connect my devices wirelessly to the Netgear and use a wire to connect the two? I expect the Netgear to have better range than the Sagem which is why I'd like to use it, but would have both more or less next to each other in the same room.

Thanks again

kevthevan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01909
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Your BT master socket should have the BT or openreach logo on it. Normally if broadband is dropping out when a phone is in use it is due to incorrect filtering. Sometimes people will run extensions from the master socket and filter at the end. Then they will put another filter into the back of the extension and try to run a router off of it. This has the effect of double filtering.

The easiest way (if possible) is to locate the master socket. Make sure nothing at all is plugged in. First of put in a filter and then your router. Make sure it connects fine and then add your phone into the same filter and make a call. If this doesnt work, try another filter. You may also want to check that the previous occupier hasnt hard wired and extension into the BT socket and messed it up