Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I get any more speed?

This is a discussion on Can I get any more speed? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Been connected to sky now since the 10th December 2010, DLM has done its thing and has settled at just ...

mannyo1221 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01258
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Can I get any more speed?

Been connected to sky now since the 10th December 2010, DLM has done its thing and has settled at just over 2.5mb on my up to 20mb unlimited connection.

I am as the crow flies 2kms from the exchange but right on the edge of town.

Here are the stats from my router.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2864 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55.5db 34.7db
      Noise Margin 11.8db 9.3db

Sorry for the strange formatting.

I have just one Telephone and the router on the line, on an extension from the master socket. Plugging directly into the master socket is not an option because where the socket has been placed there is no power socket anywhere near it, the extension cable is about 15ft long. I have already replaced the sky microfilter with a good quality active one, as before I did that caller ID did not work and everytime the phone rang I would lose the internet connection briefly. With this filter all is well, both caller id work and the internet connection is stable.

Telephone exchange is Blandford Forum, Dorset.

So, can I eek anymore out of this line or am I doomed to this connection speed.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Can I get any more speed?

You can get more speed but would probably get a lot more from the master socket. Extensions of any kind will impact speed and stability. I would be happier running a 15ft power extension lead than I would be using a telephone extension. Could you not make your own power lead up to get a "socket" closer to the telephone point?