Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Bridge or passthrough mode

This is a discussion on Bridge or passthrough mode within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Is there anyone here who has managed to get there sky Broadband to act in bridge or passthough mode? I ...

jimscreechy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Waford
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Bridge or passthrough mode

Is there anyone here who has managed to get there sky Broadband to act in bridge or passthough mode? I cant seem to get mine working. Up until this point I have had my router working in double NAT mode which isnt the best set up for various reasons, but has been ok till recently when the sky router whent kaput.

I now have now replaced it a Zyzel P-660H-D1 router, which works, but doesn't do the double NAT as seemlessly as the netgear, but it does have a number of Bridge mode configuration setttings. The first seems to be a sort of half bridge mode where the user account details can be entered for the PPPOA connection and the router 'supposedly' should still pass the IP address through to the next hop router/host on the LAN interface. There is a PPPOE passthrough mode option too. Unfortunately the Zyxel manual isn't very comprehensive on how this setup should be configured.

The second mode is 1483 bridge mode which of course has the router acting as a modem, but so far I have not managed to get this to work either. My next hop router on the lan interface does not get the IP addressed passed to it from the through the modem from the SKY DHCP service.

I've seen a few posts here but none that seem to conclusively claim to have it working properly. I should be able to get the PPPOE connection up between my new sky router, and my second hop router, but it doesn't seem to want to play cricket. Perhaps I am missing something.

Any help or indeed, insight, would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Bridge or passthrough mode

Hindsight I know, but your best solution would have been to replace the Sky router with a dedicated ADSL modem instead of another router. The double NAT would then not arise. D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem

Have you tried connecting your second router to the DMZ of the Zylex?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yes the second router is connected and has the user account information which it should pass through to the sky router (setup in bridge mode) for authentication. Just doesn't work. To be honest I 'm not even sure if it can be done becasue as I said before, I haven't managed to find a post confirming anyone to have done it succesfully.

In this configuration the router should be acting as a modem (and avoiding the double NAT) I don't think it is the router which is the issue, I think I have possibly the VCI VPI LLC/VC settings incorrect.

kevsworld is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: hafield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

did you have any luck with this setup? I am trying to setup bridging from a Zoom X3 5760 modem though to a Linksys running DD-WRT. Double NAT is a bad idea at the best of times and its a killer for VoIP and other things.

Thanks

No unfortunately I didn't. I tried many variations and configs without sucess. I actually spoke to sky support and though they didn't seem particularly bothered about me using my own kit etc, the tech I spoke to said that unfortunately this configuration isn't possible with a sky connection as it is delivered in my area. (watford). Though not all the implementations are the same in every area, so others may not have this restriction, depending on how the service is implemented. So, I am running my sky connection double natted.

Meantime my O2 connetion is running quite happly in passthrough mode (same Zyxel router/modem). My load balancing is working ok too now. I had to do some configuration changes on the Zyxel (on the Sky connection) which is where the orignal problems really stemmed from. There was a maximum number of connections limit of 512 for each IP address on the LAN interface, which was clearly a big issue when that interface was connected to the laod balancing router. the sky connection would quickly reach the 512 max especially when we had torrent software running.
      The zyxel ddidn't have the option to change this on the web interface, but I spoke to the Zyxel tech-sup team (very good and asnwered immediately) who guided me through the CLI method of changing this restriction.

. Ideally I would like both connections to be in passthrough mode, but for the most part I have no issues with the double nat anymore, and get full throughput on both connections. I realise others may not be so fortunate with this setup and I wish I could help, but I think it just isn't possible for most sky users to employ this config.