Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Reisdual affect of static IP and port forwarding

This is a discussion on Reisdual affect of static IP and port forwarding within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Had previously created a static IP address and enabled port forwarding to enhance dowload of movies and other files. ...

Longshanks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch Cardiff
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Reisdual affect of static IP and port forwarding

Hi

Had previously created a static IP address and enabled port forwarding to enhance dowload of movies and other files. Have now moved to BT Infinity with a heavy heart and can already see inevitable throttling of P2P files. However, is it possible that the previous settings are somehow slowing everything down as I am no longer using Sky and have different IP address.

Conversely would all this be superseeded by the BT installation?

Many thanks as ever.

Longshanks

2. Advertisement
      koni is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STBOTLEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD x 2
      Thanks

Re: Reisdual affect of static IP and port forwarding

iam sure it would all be different with BT, they heavily throttle P2P programs / Torrents, i dont think there is anything you can do to speed things up.

i think after midnight the restrictions are lifted on P2P programs, might be worth a test.

this is from the BT forum:

5. What is BT's policy on Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications?

P2P refers to certain applications that enable files and program sharing between groups of people logged on to a P2P network. Because they use uploads and downloads and are often left running 24/7, they consume significant bandwidth, even when being used by just a small number of customers.

Because a lot of P2P traffic is not time-critical, e.g., downloading and uploading TV programmes or movies for later viewing, we treat P2P traffic differently from time-critical traffic (such as surfing, streaming or internet telephony) and apply speed restrictions to all P2P traffic. We manage these restrictions daily based on the demands on the network, but downstream restrictions will typically be in place 4pm - midnight on weekdays and 9am - midnight on the weekend. Upstream restrictions may be in place at other times.

You can, of course, still use P2P services, but downloads will take longer during the peak times.

search of the BT forums: http://community.bt.com/t5/forums/se.../message?q=p2p
      Last edited by koni; 30-12-10 at 09:48 AM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks

I tried it overnight and it was still garbage. Interestingly the upload from my P was very fast but the download was abysmal.

Will try now and see if that makes a difference. I just wondered if I needed to do anything to undo the previous changes.

L

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you set your new router up with port forwarding and changed the fixed address of your PC to suit the BT router? If it is a standard Home Hub it will have an IP of 192.168.1.254 and a range of 192.168.1.66-253(?). Make sure your fixed address is in this range.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks

Will try but the suggestion was that it won't make any difference due to their throttling policy.