Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Newbie Help Needed Please

This is a discussion on Newbie Help Needed Please within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have just had anytime plus installed. The router was right next to the main phone socket so we ...

speedofive is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01424
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Newbie Help Needed Please

Hi,

I have just had anytime plus installed.

The router was right next to the main phone socket so we had two choices to connect to the sky box: run an ethernet round the house or plug an extension socket into the main phone socket and then run that round the side of the house. te chose the latter so the the router is now next to the sky box. Only problem is that now i have moved the sky router i have had to sacrifice an additional ethernet connection to another room. the cabling is still running from the room to where the router used to be. As this is right next to the main phone socket can i just plug another router into the main phone socket and simply plug this ethernet into that.

This would mean:

Main Phone Socket:
      2 Port extension with cable directly into router 1 (original), which connects via ethernet to sky box

Second router plugged into one of the extension ports which has ethernet connected for use in another room.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance!!!!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: Newbie Help Needed Please

If you mean you want to plug a second router into the phone line, this wont work. If you mean you want to plug the second router into the first with an ethernet cable, this will work. Plug the second router into a PC and give it an IP address of 192.168.0.254, turn off the DHCP server. Now plug the second router into the Sky one, ethernet to ethernet port, not the Internet port of the second router and that is it. Remember to save the changes you make.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.