Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

pings.

This is a discussion on pings. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; from 6pm onwards my average command prompt ping is... 150ms. from....50ms all morning till evening when it's jumped 100ms. I ...

zachary is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: pings.

from 6pm onwards my average command prompt ping is... 150ms. from....50ms all morning till evening when it's jumped 100ms. I thought sky didn't throttle, only on connect? I don't understand. Download speed isn't throttled to much but varies to the point I'm not sure, but i'm getting 10mb/s and 0.20mb/s less upload than usual. Any ideas? 10 quid says after 9/10pm I get 50ms pings again. I know i'm breaking unwritten forum rules by bumping 3 times in a row but whatever

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you using wireless? That looks like wireless interference, but it may just be interference on the line.
      The interference on the lines increase in the late afternoon/evening which can cause your noise margin to decrease. This in turn can cause erors on your line, dropping your speed and increasing your ping times. You could try downloading and running Routerstats Lite, this will show you how your noise margin is behaving. I think you will find it shows a drop during the times you are having difficulties.
      Internet Software

I know you want more speed, but if you are a gamer a stable connection is probably more important. You could use Fuzzy's application to increase your noise margin, if that is what is causing the problem. I am sure he will be glad to tell you how to do it for the best advantage.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah whats the link to his tool? I'd gladly swap download speed for ping times if it was that simple lol. It's not my wireless, i'm getting 1-2ms pinging my router which is normal, and i've tried wired. Anyway...these are my ''findings''. Average pings pinging bbc.co.uk though cmd prompt. Just as I suspected.

9.30pm - Average 202ms
      9.45pm - Average 161ms
      10.00pm - Average 126ms
      10.10pm - Average 118ms
      10.15pm - Average 94ms
      10.30pm - Average 73ms
      10.45pm - Average 58ms
      11pm (now) - Average 53ms

See a pattern? I'm not on sky connect, I get 945 upload on my router stats for one. My attenuation is one of the best i've seen, 14.5db down 8db up, exchange is a stones throw away, my noise margins are 8db down, 16db up, and nothing changes computer usage wise (no more users or torrenting etc). Whats going on? My exchange isn't congested either. I tried wired + wireless, no real change.

Argh. Just ping'd again, 52ms average. Totally settled again at 50-55ms like it was all morning.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you on the WNDEE exchange? There is a member there experiencing much the same problem as you. His thread is here -
      Sky going downhill fast & thats the only thing happening quickly

If you were able to get your stats you will have Fuzzy's tool. I don't have a Dlink so I have no idea how to use it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

No i'm not on that exchange =/ I know it probably doesn't matter but I didn't have this problem with my last ISP and I had lower pings, even heavily interleaved. Also I live in a town outside York and it doesn't ''serve'' that many households. Again, this morning...50-55ms pings. Before I went to bed last night about 1am it was still stable at 50-55ms. Pingtest is giving me 60ms ping, 1ms jitter. Another tenner says by 5pm tonight pings will shoot up. I just can't work out why...every suggestion I can counter it somehow.

And the only tool I used was that mels notes java app password extractor for the D link?

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

it's not something silly like Xmas lights interferring with your BB signal?

Even ones up your street can affect your connection.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

I got the tree lights on right now as a test, pinging steady at 55ms since this morning. And wouldn't xmas lights etc only mess with the wireless signal or am I wrong, cuz even when my pings shoot up I still am pinging my router at 1/2ms as normal, and it's no different wired. When I do a tracert on cmd prompt my router is fine then the sky server sends the ping wild

I'm gonna keep a record of tonights pings also and see what happens. It's nearly ''that time'' and all day I've not got a ping over 60ms whenever i've bothered to check.

Only thing of note I did notice, my upstream margin was at 9db earlier, when usually it's around 16db, maybe the router was reporting the wrong stat but it did seem weird...probably nothing though. Ping wasn't effected.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Average ping now 80ms.

sigh.

edit : now 100ms 5 minutes later.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zachary View Post
      And the only tool I used was that mels notes java app password extractor for the D link?
      If you click on "advanced" under the options menu, you'll get access to the option to adjust the target noise margin. Increasing it will reduce the sync rate, and should reduce error rates.

Check the detailed stats; the CRC error count over the last 15 minutes is a good guide, you want that to be as low as possible while gaming. (HEC,CRC, Super Frame Errors and RSunCorr all result in packet loss, FEC/RsCorr can be ignored).

You can use the slider to add up to +6dB to the normal (7dB) target margin. Click on execute to make the router resync with the new target. Should you need to go beyond that, you can edit the value after --snr in the command line.

Tweaks do not survive rebooting the router.
      Last edited by fuzzy logic; 31-12-10 at 03:47 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123