Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

pings.

This is a discussion on pings. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I can do a picasso paint diagram if need be. But I have.. Master Socket >>> Microfilter >>> DSL To ...

zachary is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: pings.

I can do a picasso paint diagram if need be. But I have..

Master Socket >>> Microfilter >>> DSL To Router and in the phone socket a double adaptor with the phone in one socket and one socket empty, with a black cable coming from the top which goes to the digi box.

It looks like this

Except at the top it has a black cable going into it which goes to the digi box. No socket on the end, just the cable. All I have plugged into the adaptor thing is the phone. I can't take the cable out the top of it so I have to use it. I can't even work it how it works and judging from peoples responses they have no idea either.

This is my work of art. The cable I have no idea about.

Last edited by zachary; 27-12-10 at 11:34 PM.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Yes, that would be the Sky tv splitter.

You use three telephone sockets, correct? If this is the case, then what exactly is plugged into each socket. Format it something like the following:

master socket > mf > router/phone
      bedroom extension socket > splitter > tv

Exchange:
      Thanks

On second thoughts, it's 2. We use a upstairs phone with a filter and downstairs the set up I described. I don't think moving the splitter upstairs is feasable with the sky downstairs, but maybe.

Exchange:
      Thanks

You're going to want to do as I suggested in post 8. Post up the full detailed stats once you've done that.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I will do. Now I'm getting 1ms jitter and 60ms pings on pingtest.net. What the hell is going on =/ And command prompt is giving me 55ms average for the time being. If i'm getting 55ms pings on a 16/16 delays, what would I be looking at on 8 max delays? 25-30ms would be ideal. I always thought living so close to the exchange and having a low ish attenuation of 15/9db i'd be getting quality pings...but I guess theres so many factors involved.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If your delays were reduced to 8ms now, you'll likely find more errors and thus lower throughput and higher latency. You have a nice short line, but it's those errors that are holding you back. Once you find the source of those and rectify it, then a call to Sky to reconfigure the line and set it to 8ms delays would lead to better ping times.

Exchange:
      Thanks

So in your opinion, what pings SHOULD I be getting with my stats? Roughly. Just for future reference so I know when the time is right to ring sky and sort the max delays out. 52-55ms is roughly my minimum and that can stay pretty consistant when I don't mess with the router, like today switching all the filters and stuff around. For now it's sticking to 50-60ms with 1ms jitter for the past half hour.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If everything is sorted out internally? Probably ~28ms-40ms. Somewhere around that is typical of 8ms on a stable line. As you've said, there are other factors involved however. e.g. Expect them to perhaps fluctuate if you're on a wireless connection, as opposed to ethernet.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Okay I removed the bell/ring wire from the master socket, now my attenuation has gone down to 14db downstream and 8.5 db up. The noise margin is 7.5 down and 14.5 up, seem pretty good stats in my noobish opinion. My pings are settled at the moment at 50-55ms pinging bbc.co.uk and various other uk based sites though cmd prompt. Not gone lower than 50 yet. I'll get 51,50,51,51 etc. Speedtest is still erratic on the download side, one minute it's 8mb/s, next minute it's 14mb/s, then 11 and so on. Upload is solid, router stats say 945 and i'm getting 0.80mb/s on the speedtest, although with a noise margin of 14.5 surely I can squeeze more out of it? Pingtest is giving me 60ms with between 0-5ms jitter and 0% packet loss.

I'm thinking now all I can do is the max delays, theres nothing else my end I can do. Everything is microfiltered etc. I'll keep monitoring my ping and see if it spikes, I know I'm not on connect but I did notice my ping settled straight back to 50-55ms again after 10pm. So what next?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Suprise suprise. 5pm hits and for the last 15 minutes my ping has been at 65-100ms in command prompt and 90-100ms on pingtest. Why? I didn't think sky throttled speeds? Maybe it's not connected but theres definetly a increase of ping and it's almost doubling...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast