Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A pitiful cry for help

This is a discussion on A pitiful cry for help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Some type of interference is causing niose on your line which causes the noise margin to drop below a sustainable ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: A pitiful cry for help

Some type of interference is causing niose on your line which causes the noise margin to drop below a sustainable rate. Go here - Mel's Notes: DSL2640S and download the application. When downloaded, click the Authenticity.jar file then the ADSL Stats button. Copy and paste the result here.

I am surprised that BT have not reset your line to a lower noise margin. At the moment it seems to be 6 dbs, which is fine for a good line, yours could do with being set to 9 or even 15dbs. This would reduce your speed but would probably stabilise your line. I think the main problem is that Sky and BTO do not work well together, each frustrating the other, with the result that lines do not get properly fixed.

I would advise getting your MAC and getting out as soon as you can. A decent ISP with a working relationship with BTO would have had you fixed by now.

ps. It would be good etiquette to thank FLfor the application in this link- . Sky D-Link DSL-2640S Router How To Get Your Username & Password

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

coopey (28-12-10)

3. Advertisement
      fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I am surprised that BT have not reset your line to a lower noise margin. At the moment it seems to be 6 dbs, which is fine for a good line, yours could do with being set to 9 or even 15dbs. This would reduce your speed but would probably stabilise your line.
      I wonder if that's the "known issue" with the firmware.

It is possible to make the router sync with a higher target noise margin by using the adslctl command built into its firmware, although the tweak won't survive a reboot.

If you want to try that, enable the "advanced" option in the menu of my program, mentioned in isitme's post.

To set a target margin of about 15dB edit the command line to "xdslctl configure --snr 250" and click execute to make the router resync with the new target.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fuzzy logic For This Useful Post:

coopey (28-12-10)

coopey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01773
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

well that seems to have done something - thanks.

i have connection but speed has dropped to just over 2 meg - which I think you said may happen.

I am expecting (yet another) call from Sky technical this morning - is it ok to tell them what has been done to get connection?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I wouldn't say anything if I were you, they probably would not know what you were talking about anyway. There is something wrong with your line or the exchange equipment, it is up to them to get it fixed.

I would also reboot the router to remove the tweak before they call, as it might confuse them. You can always put it back if they are unsuccessful in fixing it properly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

admox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Oh My god I have the same problem and its been going on since 24/12/10.

Can some please put this in simple terms as to how to solve it as I am a total tech dumb ass and all this gives me a fuzzy head as well as hundreds of 's worth of phone calls from my mobile to sky tech!!!

Please help me and my xbox be happily gaming by tonight!!!!

Oh yeah I am using the block Sky D-Link router.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12