Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strange

This is a discussion on Strange within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Right guys, need help. my router is syncing at just over 10mb but when im downloading files off the internet ...

harty10 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Strange

Right guys, need help. my router is syncing at just over 10mb but when im downloading files off the internet wireless or wired its capped at 400kbps which seems strange as it should be around 900kbps :/

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Strange

First thing to check is if anything/anybody else is using the connection. Any P2P or torrents running?

Remember that all servers are not capable of maxing out your connection and even the ones that can might be very busy.

You might also want to try running netstat /b in a Command Prompt and see if anything is running you don't recognise.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

i dont have any torrent programs installed and when i run that command prompt i found every tcp 192.168.0.8

Thanks

That will be the address of your PC. You should be seeing the EXE that is making the connection.

It might be worth starting in Safe Mode with Networking and going to a fast site like MS and downloading a file. This one would do - Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers see what speed you register.

This will show if your software is causing a slowdown.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

ive just downloaded a torrent program and tried a download file and its hitting 1.1mb a sec (: but off the internet i can get 400kbps max /

Thanks

As I said it depends on the server your are downloading from. A torrent will usually max out your connection but a server will only give you the speed it can. Downloading from MS I get between 8-900KB/s, from Adobe I am lucky if I get 100KB/s.

TomD

Useful Utilites

poorbroadband is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I notice fishy things too. I think Sky randomly block sites. Example: RapidShare would often say 'Not enough download slots available at this time" so I would just to tap into my neighbours unsecure Tiscali connection and, bingo, download slots would be available again. Both ISP's do it, I use to switch back and forth. ISP's throttle and often block popular download sites to stop you downloading so much

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poorbroadband View Post
      I notice fishy things too. I think Sky randomly block sites. Example: RapidShare would often say 'Not enough download slots available at this time" so I would just to tap into my neighbours unsecure Tiscali connection and, bingo, download slots would be available again. Both ISP's do it, I use to switch back and forth. ISP's throttle and often block popular download sites to stop you downloading so much
      Yawn. Here we go again.

Thanks

Example: RapidShare would often say 'Not enough download slots available at this time"
      Surely that is an RS problem, nothing to do with Sky blocking the site, rather RS blocking Sky users. The most common reason for the site being blocked occasionally, is some scumbag uploading objectionable material, which is picked up by the IWF.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I would assume that RS would only give out a limited amount of slots to Sky users given that with the unlimited usage that it is attracting more and more large downloaders.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast