Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help, low speeds for 4 months now

This is a discussion on Need help, low speeds for 4 months now within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, i have been a very unhappy sky customer for the past few months after the first week of getting ...

aelyras is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Need help, low speeds for 4 months now

Hello, i have been a very unhappy sky customer for the past few months
      after the first week of getting the connection i noticed the speed go way down
      from 1 meg to less then 10kb/s and now after 4 months of being on the phone daily
      to sky support regarding this issue i dont know where else to turn.

a few weeks ago we had a bt engineer visit and check the line in our house and replace the hardwear in the exchange for us and the speed went up to the highest we have ever had (7 meg) for about one day.

is there anything you guys know that i can do to fix this problem
      router is out 3rd one so doubt its that
      engineer said the wiring our side was fine
      i only live 1/2 a mile away from the exchange

from Test Result
      Download speedachieved during the test was - 85 Kbps
      For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
      Additional Information:
      Your DSL Connection Rate :6752 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

from router page
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6752 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 23.0 db 14.0 db
      Noise Margin 15.2 db 23.0 db

tryed using brand new filters
      tryed master socket
      brand new computer tryed wireless and wired
      i am not a heavy internet user but when i do use it i need to be able to get the stuff done which i just cannot atm with this connection

any help at all would be greatly appreciated
      aelyras

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Need help, low speeds for 4 months now

Sky Connect in itself is an issue and you'd be best moving to a LLU provider. However, your issue at the moment is a stuck IP profile of 135kbps and your SNRs are currently at 15db target, rather than 6db. If this has stayed the same for the last few days, then you need to call Sky again to log a fault to BT. Once the fault is cleared, then you should see your downstream shoot to 8128kbps and the IP profile 7150kbps, thus your download speed will be somewhat better (disregarding traffic management issues).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I remember reading some time back that a stuck Profile can sometimes be cured by plugging in a lot of phones and other equipment(Sky boxes) without using filters. Run it like this for 30 minutes, then disconnect for 30 minutes then plug back in again. The theory is that the line is completely reset and goes into the training phase again. I honestly don't know if it will work, but it may be worth a try, you are going to be waiting at least 3 days before anything is done anyway and that is in good times, with the weather, who knows?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thank you very much for the help.
      have been on the phone to sky again and they said that they will ask bt to reprofile the line again (for the 5th time) and although this works for 1-2 days after that it goes right back down again

will try that theory isitme and post results back later

Exchange:
      Thanks

did not seem to work isitme
      thanks anyway

worst bit of all this is that ive been told that my line is not good enough for sky unlimited (neighbour has it at 7 megs)
      and no other isp's i have contacted have offered services in this location

Thanks

worst bit of all this is that ive been told that my line is not good enough for sky unlimited
      Who told you that? It is complete rubbish. If you were able to get Unlimited your line would be capable of 14-16 Mb. Is your exchange enabled by Sky? If it is push them very hard to get you moved over to Sky LLU. Check here - SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Who told you that? It is complete rubbish. If you were able to get Unlimited your line would be capable of 14-16 Mb. Is your exchange enabled by Sky? If it is push them very hard to get you moved over to Sky LLU. Check here - SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search
      That will be because of the awful profile, which is presumably the result of rein or previous faults:- For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps It usually directly affects what BT wholesale's adsl checker reports.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      well when i got the package i got told by sky that my line was no good enouth the unlimited so i would have to pay more for a worse connection...

when trying to get sky unlimited
      Based on the information you have given us, this product is not available on your line. Please continue with your order or return to the Quick Buy page to try a different number in our landline checker.
      Unfortunately you cannot replace your current Sky Broadband product with this product online.

Thanks

Not good enough? I have seen Unlimited connections which could not even manage 512kb. If I were you I would call them and tell them to get you on Unlimited immediately, or you will leave. Any line capable of syncing at over 6 Mb with a 15 db noise margin is more than able to carry Unlimited. You are being fobbed off by idiots. I have seen lines where the BT checker says it would only get 2 Mb on ADSL2+, syncing at over 16Mb.

Even if your line could not take ADSL2+, which it will, it could go on G.DMT which is virtually the same as what you are on.

TomD

Useful Utilites

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

aelyras (22-12-10)

Exchange:
      Thanks

the other question would be that if i upgrade to unlimited would it start a 12-18 month contract?
      just because i plan on moving house in about 3 months (when my current one ends) and dont want to be paying for something i am not getting (although i am not rly getting it now)

(edit) nevermind just came off the phone after trying 3 diffrent people and all said that i was unable to get unlimited due to my line and my location.
      does any1 know why they would keep capping me at a unfair speed when i am not using it overly and not breaking their fair use policy?
      i know its know my router playing up and causing errors (my third brand new one in 4 weeks) and i know its not my side (engineer checked it all and assured me i can easily get 7 megs on my line)
      Last edited by aelyras; 23-12-10 at 12:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast