Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Need your opinions (Odd Behaviour)

This is a discussion on Need your opinions (Odd Behaviour) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi.. I've always had a Sky Broadband speed of around 2mb, have done so for around 1-2 years. Decided to ...

AndyDel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Langley Mill
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Need your opinions (Odd Behaviour)

Hi..

I've always had a Sky Broadband speed of around 2mb, have done so for around 1-2 years. Decided to query it as the chap across the road was getting 8mb on Sky. With us both having our lines going to the same pole (I realize this isnt a given that i'll receive 8mb also).

After going through things with a nice and very helpful chap, he up'd the cap on my line speed.

Here are my attenuation details before he up'd it..

DSL Noise Margin: 7.3 dB 13.2 dB
      DSL Attenuation: 60.5 dB 36.3 dB
      DSL Transmit Power: 14.2 dBm 12.6 dBm

I'm now getting 3.5mb roughly, with the following attenuation details:

DSL Noise Margin: 7.2 dB 16.0 dB
      DSL Attenuation: 58.0 dB 31.5 dB
      DSL Transmit Power: 17.8 dBm 7.5 dBm

With the following connection:

DSL Upstream Rate: 416 Kbps
      DSL Downstream Rate: 3392 Kbps

What i've found odd though, is my attenuation actually decreased when my connection speed was increased. Even he thought it was odd, so has escalated it to a higher team..

Anyone know why this may be the case? Isn't the attenuation suppose to increase when forcing the line to a high speed?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Need your opinions (Odd Behaviour)

Chances are he swapped you from ADSL2 to G.DMT, this usually suits longer lines such as yours and will drop the attenuation by a few db.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Simple explanation, you line has been put on G.DMT which reduces the attenuation by 2-4 dbs. It is oftem more stable, thus faster on long lines such as yours.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ah yes, i have noticed that the mode has changed to:

DSL Mode: G.DMT

Thanks for pointing this out chaps, much appreciated!

Should i expect to see further increases when the higher team looks at it, or is this all i'm likely to achieve. As the chap said my line should be capable of between 4.5-6mb.

He said my line length was only 3km

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyDel View Post
      Hi..

I've always had a Sky Broadband speed of around 2mb, have done so for around 1-2 years. Decided to query it as the chap across the road was getting 8mb on Sky. With us both having our lines going to the same pole (I realize this isnt a given that i'll receive 8mb also).

After going through things with a nice and very helpful chap, he up'd the cap on my line speed.
      If you have more than one phone socket in the house, and have a NTE5 master socket (which has a split across the front panel), I'd suggest trying the router in the test socket behind it to see if the adsl stats improve.

The difference in speed to you neighbour is most likely down to the condition of the BT phone line, but if you have a BT junction box inside your house that looks like this one http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/BT80A_RF2.jpg from the outside, you might want to open it up and make sure it is not a BT 80a RF2 with the two black inductors inside.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      If you have more than one phone socket in the house, and have a NTE5 master socket (which has a split across the front panel), I'd suggest trying the router in the test socket behind it to see if the adsl stats improve.

The difference in speed to you neighbour is most likely down to the condition of the BT phone line, but if you have a BT junction box inside your house that looks like this one http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/BT80A_RF2.jpg from the outside, you might want to open it up and make sure it is not a BT 80a RF2 with the two black inductors inside.
      Cheers mate

Yeah i've been through usual tips and tricks

Currently plugged in using the test socket in the master, although i have a BT Openworld master.. Which from looking online, has the same functions in regards the bell wire as a BT iPlate.

I'm just happy to be able to get 1.5mb more.. But with him saying my line should do 4.5-6mb.. I'm hoping for more.. May been optimistic though.