Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

use home hub as access point?

This is a discussion on use home hub as access point? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok thanks for the reply, some useful info there...

smiley rulez is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: use home hub as access point?

Ok thanks for the reply, some useful info there

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

hi

i can't change the IP address of the hub from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.0.254

i also cant turn of dhcp, the router doesn't do anything and i cannot then do anything with the router at all.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is it the V2 Hub you are using? If so I don't see why you are not able to make the changes. If it is the V1 or the V1.5, I don't know if you can make these changes, but I don't see why not, all routers will usually allow you to change the address and turn off DHCP etc.

One thing I did not mention was that one of the things I did to get the USB recognised was to revert to the BThub's address of 192.168.1.254. and change the Sky router to 192.168.1.1. I did this to get the USB port recognised by the Sky router. I don't know if it was really necessary but I was trying everything I could think of to get the USB device recognised. Although the USB port has the same MAC address, it has a different IP address.

Attached is a pic of the BTHubs LAN settings and the Netgears showing it connected. The Smallone, one of my PCs is connected to the Hub. The reason the 253 address is shown in the DHCP is that I tried to enable it for this address only when fiddling with the USB, it didn't work so I turned it off again.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails use home hub as access point?-bthub.jpg   use home hub as access point?-netgear.jpg  

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks. I've got it connect via Ethernet with the ip as 192.168.1.254 and the sagems as normal 192.168.0.1 it works but should I change the ip for the sagem anyway and assign ips to all the devices connected? The one thing I can't do is access he hubs settings now. I can access the sagem via 192.168.0.1 but jot the hub via it's address

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

To be honest I don't know how you have succeeded in connecting to the Sky router with a 'foreign' address. Both devices should be in the same address range to see one and other.

I think you have succeeded in doing something I couldn't. Can you connect to the internet through Hub? Is the hub showing in your attached devices? If so what is its address?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yes I'm using the hub to access the Internet. The hub isn't listed in attached devices though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12