Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New User, 13 days after activation and still no internet

This is a discussion on New User, 13 days after activation and still no internet within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all, apologies for starting my time here with a moan. Having lurked on this site for a few days ...

Barrett is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thumbs down New User, 13 days after activation and still no internet

Hello all, apologies for starting my time here with a moan. Having lurked on this site for a few days i'm hoping that someone out there will be able to offer some advice on what has so far been an very frustrating two weeks with Sky.

1. My line was activated on the 2nd Dec
      2. Router received on the 8th Dec(!) -Not a good start!
      3. Plugged it in - green @ light but local only connection
      4. Called Sky, after some basic tests I was told to expect a call back in 72 hours
      5. NO call back after 72 hours, but router now offering a blistering 0.1Mbps - Strike #2
      6. Called Sky again, apparently DLM started on the 2nd and set my speed low as there was no router for the first 6 days of testing - Sounds sensible, if annoying
      7. 1 day later the router was rebooted and now only has a green @ light for about 2 minutes before turning orange. Local only connection again whether green or orange.

So really, i just want reasurance that there's nothing i can do to fix it myself (i'm an Computer Officer by trade) What does the Green, then Orange light point to? I know I have to call the Sky techs again tonight but only this time I plan to call Billing as well because i'm now being charged from the 2nd for a connection I haven't ever had!!

So far my experience of Sky broadband (Connect) is such that if it's not sorted in a few days i'll be cancelling. Poor show.

Thanks in advance for any advice, hopefully It'll be sorted soon and i'll still have reason to come here!!

2. Advertisement
      boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

Re: New User, 13 days after activation and still no internet

sky connect is poor, cancel it .........

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

Even after fixing the connecting issue, you will get poor speeds, its known for it there is so many complaints on this forum about it ......... even if you sync at say 8128k after 5pm you will get around 500k which is 0.5mbps till around 12 at night so cancel it ......

Barrett is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Really? It's that bad? My Exchange doesn't have LLU so I'm somewhat limited in terms of other options. I chose Sky due to the 40GB limit, (BT was cheaper but only offered 10GB)

Any recommendations?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

40Gb is not much good if you are throttled so badly you can't use it. Have a look here - (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users and the many negative threads about Connect.
      Plusnet and Idnet are recommended, although the allowance is lower, I believe this only applies during peak times. Late night to early morning is excluded from your allowance so if you plan your downloads you can get much more.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.