Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New customer...no Internet access for 2 weeks. Advice needed. Thank you

This is a discussion on New customer...no Internet access for 2 weeks. Advice needed. Thank you within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; HI I'm sorry that my first post here is going to be a whinge and a moan but I really ...

garyfromdurham is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy New customer...no Internet access for 2 weeks. Advice needed. Thank you

HI

I'm sorry that my first post here is going to be a whinge and a moan but I really would appreciate your help as I am at the end of my tether trying to get help from Sky.

My sky dish was installed on the 19th of November and works perfectly. However, my Broadband was due to start on the 30th November but two weeks on I still don't have Internet connection.

The problem is, I can't get any confirmation from Sky as to when this is going to be repaired.

Every time I ring, my case has been 'esculated' to various departments.

My biggest fear is that this is going to go on until after Christmas.

The story as it stands now is that they are waiting for a copper wire to fit on the exchange. This was ordered on the 10th December but they don't know if it has been received and can't get to speak to anybody to find out. They said it is impossible to find out when the date to fix the copper wire is going to be.

In the meantime, I am still classed as a BT customer even though I am not receiving a service from them and a new payment to BT has just left my account.

Here is what I need advice with please:

1) Is there anybody I can speak to (or email) who will have the authority to at least issue me with an estimated repair date?

2) I am going to have to buy a dongle so that I can get online as I have already had 3 negative feedbacks on my otherwise flawless 7 year old ebay account (I am gutted ) Can I claim compensation for the dongle and the BT money that I have had to pay out.

3) Is there a way that I can really check if there is a problem at the exchange? BT says there isn't and to be fair to them it worked perfectly up to the date of the Sky switchover.

I hope somebody can give me advice as I am not sure what to do and I really don't seem to be getting anywhere with Sky and it is really getting me down.

Thank you very much in advance. I really appreciate any advice you can give.

Regards

Gary

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New customer...no Internet access for 2 weeks. Advice needed. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromdurham View Post
      1) Is there anybody I can speak to (or email) who will have the authority to at least issue me with an estimated repair date?
      It depends whether this is a provisioning issue or technical issue. What department have you been mainly in touch with?

2) I am going to have to buy a dongle so that I can get online as I have already had 3 negative feedbacks on my otherwise flawless 7 year old ebay account (I am gutted ) Can I claim compensation for the dongle and the BT money that I have had to pay out.
      Sky will credit for loss of service that you haven't received.

3) Is there a way that I can really check if there is a problem at the exchange? BT says there isn't and to be fair to them it worked perfectly up to the date of the Sky switchover.
      There's no way you can check yourself. Only your Communications Provider (Sky) will be able to progress this.

Can you explain in more detail what Sky have said the problem is? Sounds like Tie Pair issues.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

garyfromdurham (14-12-10)

Thanks

Hi

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

Yes, I think that they did mention that it was a Tie Pair problem, although I have no idea what it is (the story has changed on a number of times since I have been in touch with them)..

I am not sure what departments I have been speaking to but now a person called Mark is keeping in touch with me, which I appreciate but he isn't much help and doesn't seem to provide me with any useful information.

What I really want to know from his is: yes, the part has been received and it is scheduled be fixed on this particular date.

Thanks again for the reply.

Regards

Gary

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It sounds like it's a provisioning issue. Do you have line rental with Sky?

Unfortunately, as far as I know, provisioning can't really do much apart from send an e-mail to the specific back-office dept. that will be dealing with the case. The back-office team will not be customer facing, so provisioning, or Mark in this case, can only relay updates given by back-office.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

garyfromdurham (14-12-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      It sounds like it's a provisioning issue. Do you have line rental with Sky?

Unfortunately, as far as I know, provisioning can't really do much apart from send an e-mail to the specific back-office dept. that will be dealing with the case. The back-office team will not be customer facing, so provisioning, or Mark in this case, can only relay updates given by back-office.
      Hi

Again, I think you might be right about it being dealt with by the provisioning dept (it sounds like one of the words they used...that and 'esculated' which is their favourite word LOL).

I have got the full package from sky, TV, line rental and broadband so I am at their mercy really.

I really hope that this will handled soon and not go on until after Christmas. I haven't not had Internet access for about 10 years and it is driving me insane (I'm typing this at work btw).

Once again, I really appreciate your help and letting me know what the situation is.

Gary

Thanks

Update:

Just received my courtesy call from sky. No news but it has been 'escalated' to yet another department.

They have scheduled to ring me Friday so it looks like it will carry on until next week - christmas week.

I wish I never joined sky. I'd rather have my Internet than tv. I can't understand why they can't help me and give me a date when the problem will be repaired.

I'm very very disappointed and angry that it has taken so long to solve the problem.

Gary

Thanks

Just an update:

Sky claim that they have had two attempts at fixing the problem but both of the tie pairs (or wires) were faulty.

The person I spoke to said my claim has been 'esculated' and I am now at 'the top of the tree'. However she still had no further information as to when the next tie pairs will arrive or when the problem will be fixed.

They are now going to ring me on Friday to keep me updated which will just be in time for the weekend then we will be entering into the xmas week.....and we are expecting snow.

So I can't really see this being resolved before the New year.

Gary

PS. I don't think anybody really cares....but it makes me feel better writing it down ha ha

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Tie pairs don't arrive, it's the ports on the exchange card that are at fault. They may have to swap out the entire card in the exchange to get you working

Unless they can find another pair to use on an existing card
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket