Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connect bandwidth

This is a discussion on Connect bandwidth within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey all, so I have been on sky for quite a while now, and although there have been issues (occassional ...

lolica is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Connect bandwidth

Hey all, so I have been on sky for quite a while now, and although there have been issues (occassional in game packet loss and slow evening speeds) the service has, for the most part been pretty good.
      However, a few weeks back my internet suddenly became incredibly slow,and struggled to perform basic tasks such as loading webpages,. I couldnt log into steam or use any kind of voip programs, and playing videos was a huge no. However, this proceeded to continue for exactly one week after downloading a large (10gig) file, and it seemed as though they were connected.

Fast forward to this week, and suddenly, from ten minutes ago, my internet has once more slowed to a crawl, again after downloading files. Now, I know sky throttle at peak times, but I need to make clear that this isnt ordinary throttling, instead this is almost removal of their service, as it takes up to 5 minutes to load webpages, and I cannot perform even the most basic of tasks.

Therefore I have a couple of questions:
      Does Sky connect have some kind of "weekly limit", I have read that i get 40gig per month, yet last time this occured, the problem vanished after a week.
      If so, how much is this limit.
      Is there anything that I can do in order to solve it, as I need the internet especially as I have a fair amount of work to do this week.
      And finally are they breaking their ToS, which state that "gaming, voip and browsing will not be affected" by their throttling.
      I'd also like to mention, that the problem appears to begin around 5:30 (peak time).
      Thanks guys, and sorry for the essay!

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Connect bandwidth

They allow 1.3gb per day and if you go over that apply further limitations, you cannot just download say 5gb one day and then the rest over the following weeks.

lolica is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Connect bandwidth

Okay, but when will it reset then, is it a daily thing, because I downloaded over 1.3 on saturday, then it was fine saturday evening/sunday, and it has just kicked in now?
      I read somewhere that they run on some kind of 10gb per week thing, which contradicts what they say on their site.
      Is there a source for the 1.3gb per day information, because I can only find 40gb a month despite hearing that they run daily and weekly caps :/
      Thanks for the response.