Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

At the end of my tether already (disconnects, slow speeds)

This is a discussion on At the end of my tether already (disconnects, slow speeds) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK, as the name suggests - I'm not a natural techie so please put answers in blonde-proof terms! Just got ...

dizziblonde is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

At the end of my tether already (disconnects, slow speeds)

OK, as the name suggests - I'm not a natural techie so please put answers in blonde-proof terms!

Just got Sky since we moved out of rented accomodation so can actually choose what services we get a lot more than before. TV's fine, broadband is driving me to utter distraction.

Sagem router - filters on everywhere there should be, PCs have previously run happily wirelessed for years without any problems. Speed was good - cracking along at about 9meg, but constant connection dropouts between PCs and the wireless. Tried moving the router, tried moving the PCs as much as possible - no fix there. Tried switching wireless channels to avoid interference with other stuff around - which reduced the problem to peak times only but still an unuseable connection at that time of day. Then used that inSSIDer to find a clear channel and tried again - now have disgustingly slow speeds of 1meg, and have yet to see if the dropouts will start at about 4pm like they have the last few days.

Is this the best I can expect from a line that was quoted at about 10 meg as an expected connection when I took the subscription out? Trying to avoid getting the run around from the phone bods if I can help it but this is barely useable at the best of times and totally useless at the worst.

Like I say - I'm not a natural techie so please be kind.

2. Advertisement
      15romiley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: At the end of my tether already (disconnects, slow speeds)

Had a similar problem, there server at the exchange turns the speed down if it thinks there is a problem on the line. The best way to sort it is to phone them and tell them you will cancel the contract that's if your not still in your 12 month contract. Your be amazed how quickly they will pull there finger out.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Poor advice there, without connection stats you don't now if it's a wireless issue, router issues or configuration issue. And it doesn't reduce speed if it thinks there is an issue. It does when it knows there's an issue

To the OP, post your stats and we can go from there:

How to get your router statistics

Have to say, it almost sounds like you're on Connect and not on the Sky LLU connection. Stats will confirm this
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is pointless phoning Sky about a wireless problem, all they can do is tell you to change the channel.

Then used that inSSIDer to find a clear channel and tried again - now have disgustingly slow speeds of 1meg, and have yet to see if the dropouts will start at about 4pm like they have the last few days
      Have you used Inssider at the time you are getting the drop outs? It looks like other networks are being switched on and interfering with you. Remember channels overlap 3 channels. eg. if channel 6 is in use this will also interfere with channels 4,5,7, and 8. Channel 13, although it is overlapped by 11, is often the best one to try.

Apart from wireless channels, at this time of the year, flashing Xmas lights can badly impact on broadband. Any lights around you coming on at 4pm?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The clue was in the question BLONDE PROOF so the best advice is to contact sky

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The ' BLONDE PROOF' posted here for advice, if we just told everyone who was not technically minded to phone Sky, there would not be much point in this forum.

I agree with IWNTE, it could be a Connect problem, many are put on this without it being explained to them, but the 9Mb mention seems to rule this out..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

The reason I asked for stats is that the OP says they've just got Sky and HAD broadband previously so was assuming the old address. I could be wrong, mind, and stats would prove this
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

I had a similar problem of disconnect wireless poor speed of not even 1mb, spoke to sky and now have ( download speed is 7472Kbps, and your current upload speed is 627Kbps.) but it does depend on what Muppet you get at sky but they can run through all the possible problems

Exchange:
      Thanks

... double post - deleted - sorry!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Nah it's definitely NOT the connect product we're on - I checked that one before I signed up. Leaving inSSIDer running now to see if it's anything that comes on at about 4pmish (my suspicion is the next door neighbour's kid in some shape or form to be honest) - if I can find what's causing the wireless drop outs then I can moan to Sky about the speed since we're still in the linechecks setup phase and since we were cracking along really fast to start with I think we've been artificially set too low hopefully temporarily.

Were previously on cable - I just couldn't take anymore of virgin's dreadful V+ box which was the reason for the changeover!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast