Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Unlimited Broadband Speed Query

This is a discussion on Sky Unlimited Broadband Speed Query within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and moving us over to Sky and am trying to understand the likely ...

goosee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stoneygate
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Sky Unlimited Broadband Speed Query

Hello

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and moving us over to Sky and am trying to understand the likely speeds we'd see on a Sky Unlimited Broadband connection. Current ISP is Tesco, which is piggybacking on the awful Virgin National service. I have a few layman's queries, if I may...

We're connecting to the Stoneygate Exchange (Sky LLU available) at an approximate distance away of 1.2km. Sky's website predicts a connection speed of around 3.5Mbps.

How is that speed calculated and is it unique to Sky as an ISP or is that the speed we'd likely see with any other ISP?

Also, when I look at my router stats, are they relevant to my line regardless of ISP, or are they dictated by the fact that we're currently with Teso Broadband? i.e. is there any use in me taking my current (Tesco) stats into account when thinking about Sky, or would they change once the Sky connection is enabled with a different router?

Finally, if I do go forward with Sky and end up with a connection of around 3.5mbps, are there any likjely upgrades on the horizon, which might automatically improve that? ADSL2+ is due to arrive at Stoneygate in Jan 2011, but I understand this will likely only be available to BT customers.

Many thanks for any answers you can provide - I'm sure these are pretty basic queries. I'd be happy to provide further info as needed.

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Sky Unlimited Broadband Speed Query

For what it's worth, stats from my current router:

Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3776 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32 db 18 db
      Noise Margin 23 db 8 db

(I think!)

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

goosee
      Hi Sky LLU is ADSL2+ If you put in your Attenuation on the link and it will give you some idea of the speed you will get SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator

Thanks

Thanks. That link is suggesting speeds of between 12 and 14 Mbps, based on my current attenuation.

Is that, therefore, the likely speed I could expect from January? Would Sky apply this automatically?

Sort of the same question again, but for clarity, is it therefore true that as soon as the Stoneygate exchange becomes ADSL2+ enabled in January, my Sky connection would be too?

Also, in light of all of this, where is Sky generating their 3.5 Mbps prediction from?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You are being robbed at the moment, you should have 8Mb, the maximum for the type of connection you are on. With a noise margin of 23 you are very heavily capped. On ADSL2+ with Sky you should see 10-12+Mb.

Just seen your last post, the checker you used considers a perfect line. Also your attenuation will increase to 34-35dbs when moved to ADSL2+, so you will not get as much as the checker suggests with your present figure.

Goodness knows where Sky get that estimate from, they always keeps themselves on the safe side, but that is ridiculous.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

goosee
      Hi the thing is you are on a Bt rebadged product the upstream of 448kbps is the give away. and high Downstream Noise Margin.That could be the reason Sky under estimated the connection speed. Sky already have their own equipment in the Stoneygate exchange so it is already Sky ADSL2+ enabled.

Thanks

Ok - gotcha. So the speed's already there, I just need the switch to Sky to take advantage of it.

I'm intending to retain my BT line, and pay line-rental only, paying Sky for the broadband and calls package. Presumably that won't affect things..?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

That is the best way to do it in my opinion.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

goosee
      Hi The only thing that you must make sure of is that you are put on one of Sky`s own packages which are Sky Broadband - Broadband and Wireless Offers - Buy Online Not the Connect package.

Thanks

Thanks for the feed back so far. A strange issue has arisen...

Until today, Sky's test was showing consistently an estimate of 3.5Mbps for our line.

This evening the test has shown '10-20', 3, and 0.5 at different points.

The router stats have not changed - they're identical to those I posted above.

I called Sky to put this to them amongst other things and they ran a test from their end showing the line could support a maximum of only 2 Mbps.

Is there any obvious reason for this? The Sky guy was insistent that 2Mbps would be the maximum speed we could get.

Does this indicate a possible line fault, or something else? As I say the router stats are identical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast