Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky Unlimited Broadband Speed Query

This is a discussion on Sky Unlimited Broadband Speed Query within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The 'test' that Sales use is not a 'test' as such. It just pulls information from other sources and then ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Unlimited Broadband Speed Query

The 'test' that Sales use is not a 'test' as such. It just pulls information from other sources and then gives them an estimate as to how much the line can handle. For an attenuation of 30db odd, the estimation you've been given is nonsense. Stick your phone number into the following link and see what estimation it gives:

http://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
      Last edited by User05; 14-12-10 at 10:19 PM.

2. Advertisement
      fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If you've got a BT Wholesale based ADSL service, then BT wholesale use your recent line profile to provide line speed estimations, so the estimates will change if a line fault/faulty router/ thunderstorm or whatever affects your profile (the estimate for mine went through the floor when I had a line fault, and it took about a week to recover after it was fixed). If you don't have a BTW based connection then BT's estimates are based on unreliable line length data.

Your large noise margin suggest there's a problem, although it may be nothing more than a stuck profile, but I'd suggest sorting out any telephone extension wiring before migrating (disconnecting the ring wire is often all that's needed) see- ::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::

If your connection is bt wholesale based you can check your profile using the performance tester.Test Result

goosee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stoneygate
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

OK. From there I get:

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2.208Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.208Mbps and 3.208Mbps.

Your exchange is planned to have ADSL2+ by 31st March 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 9Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 14.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 6.5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 5.5Mbps and 7.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 35.9Mbps and upstream line speed of 9.1Mbps.

So, I suspect the Sky rep's test is relying on similar data to the first paragraph...

Para 3 states that ADSL2+ will arrive in March, but am I right in thinking that's for BT's rollout? My exchange is already LLU for Sky, so does this mean I would already get ADSL2+ speeds as a Sky customer?

Finally, any idea why the Sky website line test result would fluctuate this evening, as it's that which has confused me more than anything?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Finally, any idea why the Sky website line test result would fluctuate this evening, as it's that which has confused me more than anything?
      One explanation could be your line has an intermittent fault which causes a noise spike at different times. This would account for the very heavy capping and the conflicting results you are getting from Sky.

What you can do is download Routerstats Lite and run it for 24 hours. This will give you an idea of what is happening to the noise on your line. It is compatible with a whole range of routers, hopefully yours is included. - Internet Software

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12