Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

So, FTTC whats the story?

This is a discussion on So, FTTC whats the story? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been waiting all year for this. Signed up to the website and everything to be considered for trial. they ...

firehawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

So, FTTC whats the story?

I've been waiting all year for this. Signed up to the website and everything to be considered for trial.

they said first it would be november 2010 in my area (Reading) then dec 2010. we are almost mid dec.... whats happening?

SKY Fibre Optic pro unlimited!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: So, FTTC whats the story?

Sky have not started public trials and they may never do so. If you want FTTC you will probably have to move to BT Infinity or one of their resellers. Even then, you will get nothing until your exchange has been enabled by BT.

BT Infinity – How to get fibre optic broadband

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
      they said first it would be november 2010 in my area (Reading) then dec 2010. we are almost mid dec.... whats happening?
      Depends upon which part of Reading, BT Infinity is being rolled out at different times:

Reading Central - 31/12/2010
      Reading Earley (East) - Already live in some areas
      Reading South - Already live in some areas
      Reading Tilehurst (West) - 31/03/2011
      Some smaller Reading exchanges (e.g., Theale) aren't currently earmarked for FTTC at all

Enter your postcode in here then look under 'BT Wholesale information' / FTTC status http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

As Isitme says, Sky aren't offering FTTC anywhere at the moment.
      Last edited by DesertRaven; 12-12-10 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Added Sam Knows URL

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Maybe I am being stupid here but ...

Surely Sky customers on the LLU product (Unlimited say) can get FTTC as soon as BT put the cable in ? Or am I missing something.

LLU providers just have their own hardware in a BT exchange but still use the BT cable to get to the customer's house ? So how difficult is it for Sky to connect their LLU kit to the 'new' cable ?

DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
      LLU providers just have their own hardware in a BT exchange but still use the BT cable to get to the customer's house ? So how difficult is it for Sky to connect their LLU kit to the 'new' cable ?
      My guess is that it comes down to Return on Investment for Sky. Six, Seven years ago when LLU was the new sliced bread a lot of money was spent putting ‘kit’ into BT Exchanges. Trouble is FTTC now moves kit out of the Exchange and into the roadside cabinets. Lack of physical space and yet more outlay for ISP’s.

The alternative is to lease bandwidth from BT – Sky Connect anyone

I think Sky for the moment anyway is targeting the masses with cheap 7.50 per month, unlimited download and as fast as your copper will go broadband, and leaving the lower number of early FTTC adopters to BT – even though these early adopters are willing to pay nearly 4 times as much.

Time for Jeremy Hunt to decide: does he want a BT monopoly, or fibre everywhere? | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

BT are claiming that a cabinet when it goes lives is seeing 10%-40% takeup almost immediately and one BT engineer on another forum has said he has seen a FTTC being filled up already.

It sounds like there is a fairly big rush for this rather than some early adopters.

As said before it is most likely to come down to cost and as BT can resell at a profit with Ofcom's blessing Sky would have to subsidise it or charge 25-40 per month for it and I would seriously doubt it would be an unlimited package.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is not the cable back to the exchange that is the problem, but what happens to it when it gets there. With the present LLU system, when the cable gets to the exchange it is redirected from the BT equipment to the Sky equipment to form the Local Loop. Sky's existing equipment in the exchange is not compatible with the new fibre line being installed by BT. To use this Sky would have to upgrade their exchange equipment and I am fairly sure this would be not be financially feasible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Especially as BT operate a "next one pays" policy, it means if any new equipment such as power upgrades etc need to be done to the exchange for that equipment to go in then the installing ISP pays for everything even if they only use a small amount of the upgrade.

That means an exchange can be very expensive to put kit in if BT deems that the exchnage needs to be upgraded.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!