Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How can full speed be acheived if ethernet only supports 15mbs..?

This is a discussion on How can full speed be acheived if ethernet only supports 15mbs..? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by UK_Legend As far as i know, there is a difference between megabits and megabytes, and apparently 100megabits ...

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: How can full speed be acheived if ethernet only supports 15mbs..?

Quote Originally Posted by UK_Legend View Post
      As far as i know, there is a difference between megabits and megabytes, and apparently 100megabits per second is about 12.5 megabytes per second..
      Yes, a factor of 8, there are 8 bits in a byte - but as others have pointed out ethernet and broadband (wired and wireless) use the same measurements.

You would only benefit from Gigabit speeds if transferring data between devices on your home network, or if you have several devices using it at the same time.

2. Advertisement
      UK_Legend is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bangor
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SadBloke View Post
      Yes, a factor of 8, there are 8 bits in a byte - but as others have pointed out ethernet and broadband (wired and wireless) use the same measurements.

You would only benefit from Gigabit speeds if transferring data between devices on your home network, or if you have several devices using it at the same time.
      Yea,thats what i thought.
      Thanks alot cor clarifying!
      Regards
      -Darian

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just to add, if and when you go on to a 40Mbps connection, you will require a modem capable of connecting at that speed. Existing routers will still be able to handle that higher speed. Only when connecting at 100mbps, would you require a gigabit router to be sure of getting your full download speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

LAN network speeds are set in increments. You can have 10, 100 or 1000 mbps. Anything in between these figures means you are potentially losing performance at some point.

As others say bits/sec and bytes/sec can confuse. All networking seems to use bps whilst file transfer is generally quoted a bytes/sec. So transferring at 100 Mbps means you will achieve about 12.5 MB/sec of file transfer.

I now achieve about 17 Mbps on my Sky broadband connection and the added speed from the previous 8 Mbps is barely noticeable on daily web surfing but big downloads do seem about 30% faster. So the quest for more and more speed reaches a point where doubling speed only produces marginal improvement for everyday use. I can't see a 30 mbps broadband connection giving me a great deal more in the real world. But I know TomD would like my 17 mbps connection!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12