Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intermittent Connection

This is a discussion on Intermittent Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello. I have been with Sky since 2008 with little to no problems (couple replacement routers that's about it) recently ...

tomthumb88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WWPINH
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Intermittent Connection

Hello. I have been with Sky since 2008 with little to no problems (couple replacement routers that's about it) recently I have been having intermittent connection problems. The routers internet light goes amber and then green so I think it's re-syncing. I initially thought it was my Xbox 360 (hard wired) as it happened more when I was on it. After several phone calls to Sky they have forwarded my problem to tier 2 and I am awaiting a phone call from them.
      In the mean time they asked me to conduct a few test. The test was to see if it was a certain amount of devices connected that causes the disconnections.
      After about 2 hours of testing I have discovered that it will disconnect with or without devices so it's not that. I then rang them up again and explained the situation. They replied saying that I had a broken ethernet port on my Xbox which was shorting out the router (even though it cuts out without my Xbox being connected to the router in anyway) so it's not that. I also have my router connected to an extension so to eliminate that being the problem I connected the router to the test socket and it still drops connection. So to sum it up it's not my Xbox, extension or how many devices are connected to the router. Sky have informed me that my line is good so I am left thinking it's my router but it's only 2 weeks old (Sky D-link Router) so I don't know what to do apart from await the phone call but they've promised this before but didn't keep it. If anyone has any idea what else it could be then please help me. Thanks in advance. Tom

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Intermittent Connection

The fact that you are on Connect complicates things as Sky are unable to do much directly with your connection. Everything has to go through BT, Sky, and yourself, are at their mercy. With the atrocious weather we are having I know that BTO are working flat out just to keep the voice lines open so if your area is the same as mine, they will not be much interested in fixing a broadband connection.. You will just have to wait on the call back from Sky, hopefully they will decide to send you another router to rule problems with that out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

tomthumb88 (02-01-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The fact that you are on Connect complicates things as Sky are unable to do much directly with your connection. Everything has to go through BT, Sky, and yourself, are at their mercy. With the atrocious weather we are having I know that BTO are working flat out just to keep the voice lines open so if your area is the same as mine, they will not be much interested in fixing a broadband connection.. You will just have to wait on the call back from Sky, hopefully they will decide to send you another router to rule problems with that out.
      Thank you for the reply. Sorry I haven't replied quicker but I haven't been able to get on. I just rang Sky again to ask why I haven't received a phone call yet and was informed that the previous guy I spoke to didn't escalate me to tier 2. After a long time on hold I have been put through to them and they have apologised. Right on to what they are doing. They have emailed the manager of a department in Shepton that can help resolve this problem. They said they will ring me back within 30 minutes to let me know what is going on. They mentioned a specific test that they are going to do but the tier 2 guy had never heard of one being done before. Anyone know anything about this rare test? I think he called it a Line Power Test or something similar. Help would be appreciated.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Can't think of what test it would be, myself. One Shot Check? That's not 'rare', though. I believe Offnet Escalations is with Shepton these days, so at least it can be looked into properly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

tomthumb88 (02-01-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Can't think of what test it would be, myself. One Shot Check? That's not 'rare', though. I believe Offnet Escalations is with Shepton these days, so at least it can be looked into properly.
      Thanks for the reply. It definitely had power somewhere in the test name. Haven't had a call back yet but will update when i find out.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hmm, I honestly can't think of what the test could be. To check if your session is dropping, a Radius Log Check can be run, but let us know what CST come back with.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

tomthumb88 (02-01-11)

Thanks

It looks like your problem has been moved to the team that deal with BT (Connect) customers which should have been done in the first place. Hopefully you will get somewhere now, but don't hold your breathe waiting on a call back. If you don't hear anything, call back again and ask for a reference number, which can save a lot of time when you call them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

tomthumb88 (02-01-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It looks like your problem has been moved to the team that deal with BT (Connect) customers which should have been done in the first place. Hopefully you will get somewhere now, but don't hold your breathe waiting on a call back. If you don't hear anything, call back again and ask for a reference number, which can save a lot of time when you call them.
      I'm not holding my breath anymore. Lol. I just came home from work and was told by my girlfriend that someone rang at 11am but obviously I wasn't there to answer it. He told her that it isn't his job to call me back and that I had to ring Sky again and ask for CST and they will email this guy again and he'll ring me. Only problem is I just rang Sky and the systems are down so they can't do anything. The guy on the phone told me to ring back tomorrow morning so it's another day with rubbish broadband. Really starting to lose faith in Sky now.

Thanks

UPDATE: basically sky have narrowed it down to the router after doing the line test. Arranged to send one out. Arrived today. Connected all new equipment to the test socket and it's still doing it. I have a scheduled call from them on Friday so I'll let them know it's still doing it. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

If you have a router you can put login details into, you could try the BT Test login. As you are on Connect, it will work with your line. Have a look at this Kitz page to learn how to do it.
      ::. Kitz - BT Test Login .::

This would let you know if it is the router, which I doubt, or some other part of the network.

Unless Sky sent out LL5 engineers, I doubt if the line test means anything at all, only that it works with phones.

TomD

Useful Utilites

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

tomthumb88 (02-01-11)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast