Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Intermittent Connection

This is a discussion on Intermittent Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; UPDATE: Sky phoned last night to see if the replacement router cured the problem. Informed them that it didn't and ...

tomthumb88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WWPINH
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent Connection

UPDATE: Sky phoned last night to see if the replacement router cured the problem. Informed them that it didn't and now they have arranged for an engineer to come out on the 30th of December so hopefully they will discover the fault. Wish me luck.

2. Advertisement
      efcmk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi your connection issue is the same as mine. Did the engineer find a problem

4. The Following User Says Thank You to efcmk For This Useful Post:

tomthumb88 (02-01-11)

jon_r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

This sounds very similar to the problems we are having as well, though we are new customers.

After 8 weeks of 'service' and 2 routers we've now been told it's all down to the BT exchange not recognising the D Link routers. Bizarre.

Looking forward to hearing what the engineer reckons. We've made circa 15 calls to Sky and aren't getting anywhere. We've written to Watchdog if only to make us feel better! To be honest The whole thing is an appalling mess and Sky are the biggest joke going. I wouldnt wish dealing with them to my worst enemy!

(sent from my phone using 3G as the wifi has disconnected again....)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jon_r For This Useful Post:

tomthumb88 (02-01-11)

Thanks

Sorry to hear that your also having problems.

On to the update from the engineer. He came round and noticed that my wiring is unusual. He replaced all the wiring in my house and relocated the master socket. He said that the line coming into the house was not the same that was going into my socket. Basically it had been spliced together inside a wall and was damaged due to dampness. But it's still not good news. I came back from work and checked the statistics screen on my router. At first it looked good. It had a system up time if 2 hours which was about right but my WLAN was only 30 mins so I thought I'll try later. Just tried it and it's still at 30 odd minutes so I think it us still dropping connection. Gonna give it 48 hours and monitor the drops. If its still doing it I'm going to leave sky and go elsewhere.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

To be honest The whole thing is an appalling mess and Sky are the biggest joke going. I wouldnt wish dealing with them to my worst enemy!
      The problem is that you are not really on the Sky Network, although you pay Sky for it, you are getting your service from BT. Connect is probably the worst internet service you will find anywhere. Not only is it throttled heavily at peak times, but the relationship between BT and Sky is very poor. The throttling aside, other ISPs using the same service do not appear to have the difficulties experienced by Sky. Of all the posts about Connect on the forum, I can recall only one who was satisfied with the service.

Take the advice of almost everyone here and ask for your MAC and find another ISP. Do not mention cancelling your service when you do, in fact emphasise that you do not want to cancel. If your service is cancelled before you find another ISP to accept and use your MAC, it can take 2 or 3 weeks to get back on line and can cost your up to 40 to get reconnected..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

tomthumb88 (02-01-11)

Thanks

thanks for the advice mate. I'm looking around at some other ISPs now. I'll update when I find a suitable one. any recommendations?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quite a few have left for Plusnet, I have not seen any bad feedback, they still throttle but unlike Sky are up front about it. They are owned by BT so have a better relationship when anything goes wrong.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

tomthumb88 (02-01-11)

Easen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I've experienced the same thing, instead of phoning up Sky and getting through to a level 1 and then having to escalate it to level 2; I've just gone back to my Netgear DG834Gv5.

Currently I'm at 10 hours uptime. Where as before I would get disconnected every 4-5 hours.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Easen For This Useful Post:

tomthumb88 (02-01-11)

Thanks

Well it appears to have solved the problem. Got a system up time of 68 hours and 64 hours on the others. No disconnections so far and I have been abusing it. Downloading iPhone updates, watching youtube, playing xbox 360, streaming music all at the same time and it's not done it once. So it must have been the dodgy cabling that he replaced. Going to stay on connect for the minute but if it happens again I will either go plusnet or the only LLU on my exchange TalkTalk. Thanks for the help guys it's greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12