Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 13

    How to set up Internet Connection Sharing on SKY BB

    This is a discussion on How to set up Internet Connection Sharing on SKY BB within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have recently moved from BT to SKY BB . The move went with no hitches at all and ...

    1. #1
      paulmotion's Avatar
      paulmotion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Posts
      17
      Thanks
      1
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Question How to set up Internet Connection Sharing on SKY BB

      Hi,

      I have recently moved from BT to SKY BB. The move went with no hitches at all and the service appears to be excellent.

      One issue I have however is this....previosuly my sons Xbox was connected to live using a network cable attached to a desktop PC which is connected wirelessly to BT Home Hub. I used ICS to share the connection so he could get on live.

      Since changing to SKY, he is unable to connect to xbox live and also when I plug the netowork cable into the pc it also loses internet connection? When I unplug the network cable the internet comes back on?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated

      Paul


    2. Advertisement
    3. #2
      dms05's Avatar
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Wirral
      Posts
      1,692
      Thanks
      12
      Thanked 52 Times in 50 Posts

      Re: How to set up Internet Connection Sharing on SKY BB

      You should connect the X-Box directly to the Sky router and forget about the PC.

    4. #3
      paulmotion's Avatar
      paulmotion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Posts
      17
      Thanks
      1
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: How to set up Internet Connection Sharing on SKY BB

      Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      You should connect the X-Box directly to the Sky router and forget about the PC.
      Thanks for the reply but my sons xbox is upstairs and the router is downstairs so this is not an option I'm afraid.

    5. #4
      PaulSky's Avatar
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      Essex
      Posts
      4,202
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts

      Re: How to set up Internet Connection Sharing on SKY BB

      Have you set a manual IP on the Xbox and if you have what is it? Homeplugs would resolve the issue as would a long ethernet lead.

    6. #5
      Lee Speight's Avatar
      Lee Speight is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Location
      Doncaster
      Posts
      2
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: How to set up Internet Connection Sharing on SKY BB

      Hi,
      I have the exact same problem, All I did with BT was share my internet connection and my desktop PC did the rest. My computer connects to the router and internet fine using my Belkin wireless N adapter but as soon as I turn on my Xbox which is connected via Ethernet cable to the Pc the computer says its connected to the wireless connection but I get no Xbox live and when I load internet explorer it will not display a web page. Once I turn off the Xbox the internet works.
      I have tried a few things already like un-sharing my connection and trying to bridge the wireless connection and LAN connection but this makes thing worse as once I remove the sharing on the wireless connection I get limited or no connectivity on the LAN port from the Xbox.

      I have contacted Microsoft Technical Support and if I do get any joy before a solution is found here I will post it.

    7. #6
      Isitme's Avatar
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Dec 2006
      Location
      Central Scotland
      Posts
      34,131
      Thanks
      64
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

      Re: How to set up Internet Connection Sharing on SKY BB

      If it worked before it should work now, but can you confirm that you are using a cross-over cable and not a straight ethernet.

      TomD


      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.


      Useful Utilites

      http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

      Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.





    8. #7
      paulmotion's Avatar
      paulmotion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Posts
      17
      Thanks
      1
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: How to set up Internet Connection Sharing on SKY BB

      Quote Originally Posted by Lee Speight View Post
      Hi,
      I have the exact same problem, All I did with BT was share my internet connection and my desktop PC did the rest. My computer connects to the router and internet fine using my Belkin wireless N adapter but as soon as I turn on my Xbox which is connected via Ethernet cable to the Pc the computer says its connected to the wireless connection but I get no Xbox live and when I load internet explorer it will not display a web page. Once I turn off the Xbox the internet works.
      I have tried a few things already like un-sharing my connection and trying to bridge the wireless connection and LAN connection but this makes thing worse as once I remove the sharing on the wireless connection I get limited or no connectivity on the LAN port from the Xbox.

      I have contacted Microsoft Technical Support and if I do get any joy before a solution is found here I will post it.
      Yup, that is exactly the problem I am having.......

    9. #8
      paulmotion's Avatar
      paulmotion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Posts
      17
      Thanks
      1
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: How to set up Internet Connection Sharing on SKY BB

      I am using the same cable I used when it worked with BT Home Hub

    10. #9
      Isitme's Avatar
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Dec 2006
      Location
      Central Scotland
      Posts
      34,131
      Thanks
      64
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

      Re: How to set up Internet Connection Sharing on SKY BB

      Basically there is no difference connecting to a Sky router, or any other router for that matter, than there is connecting to a BT Hub. If you are able to connect to the router without the Xbox cable connected and your connection drops when you connect it, that suggests something is wrong with the cable or the Xbox NIC. Can you try temporary connecting the Xbox directly to the router to confirm that the NIC in the Xbox has not developed a fault?

      TomD


      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.


      Useful Utilites

      http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

      Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.





    11. #10
      paulmotion's Avatar
      paulmotion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Posts
      17
      Thanks
      1
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: How to set up Internet Connection Sharing on SKY BB

      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Basically there is no difference connecting to a Sky router, or any other router for that matter, than there is connecting to a BT Hub. If you are able to connect to the router without the Xbox cable connected and your connection drops when you connect it, that suggests something is wrong with the cable or the Xbox NIC. Can you try temporary connecting the Xbox directly to the router to confirm that the NIC in the Xbox has not developed a fault?
      Please excuse my ignorance but can you tell me what NIC is? Ta

     

     
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION