Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Christmas = No ADSL for me?

This is a discussion on Christmas = No ADSL for me? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Have had Sky broadband unlimited for a while without any issues. On Sunday the missis put the Xmas tree ...

miam00 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01733
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Christmas = No ADSL for me?

Hi,
      Have had Sky broadband unlimited for a while without any issues. On Sunday the missis put the Xmas tree up, I noticed the speed degradation until such a point whereby the connection died immediately.

I have no ADSL light or @ light on the router, have tried 3 filters, plugging directly in socket behind faceplate & the BT socket in my bedroom, all with no success.

The tree is next the primary BT socket would this affect the connection? I have tested by turning all power off to lights, again this doesn't work surely baubles wouldn't prevent an adsl connection, the phone works but it a bit crackly?

Any help appreciated & thanks for your time

Gary

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Christmas = No ADSL for me?

the phone works but it a bit crackly?
      This is more likely to be the problem rather than the Xmas tree. Call your phone rental provider and report a noisy line. You should also phone Sky Broadband support and report that your connection is down, they will carry out checks which will confirm if the line is faulty..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks TomD,
      I did report to Sky on Sunday, they told me line was fine & to simply change the filters, which I did with no joy! They said they can see the line but "connection is not being made", very helpful. I would try taking the tree down but could cause world war 3!

Regards

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

So turning off the Christmas lights doesn't help? If it does, just don't turn them on - or change the socket they're going in
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

As above if the line crackles there is a bad joint somewhere. Christmas lights (usually the rope style ones) CAN knock off the ADSL but you have ruled that out, unless your neighbours have some. I've known them cause problems from some distance!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Yes, turning lights off, even unplugging them doesn't resolve the issues. Last resort is to take the tree down completely but I am not entirely sure this is the problem although Sky seem reluctant to accept its anything to do with them either.

When trying the router 2 floors up, the same result occurs, obviously the tree is still next to the actual BT master socket downstairs, is this a pointless test!

Also I was under the impression the by using the engineers test socket" behind the faceplate would effectively rule our interference issues?

Confused a little here, may need to try Sky support again at some point, not looking forward to that I have to say.

regards

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If you're getting a crackly line, can you confirm that the noise is still present with the router unplugged from the filter? If so, then try your handset directly into the test socket and check if the noise is still present. If so, then report to your line rental provider. They'll likely ask you to try another handset (as usually line tests will pass with noisy line issues), in case Openreach find a fault with the phone itself. However, for the fact that your adsl is also affected, it's unlikely to be a handset issue.

Thanks

Ok User05,
      Thanks for that I will try and do this when I get home from work. Line rental & broadband is from Sky so hope they can sort..

Cheers

TazzFM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01229
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hey Miam00,

sorry to jump on your topic, but I thought as our problems seem very similar maybe there is a issue affecting both of us.

I have been watching these forums hoping to see if there were other people experiencing my problems until registering.

My problem is very similar to your own, except no christmas tree located near my router, my internet and phone started playing up on saturday morning. the crackling phone line, was the issue I noticed first, to be honest at points I loose dial tone completely.

as for my broadband unlimited, its been great until saturday, as I only live around 0.5 miles away from the exchange, I was getting a cracking 17mb, with just over 1MB upload speed and about 67ms ping.

since saturday I am getting just over 1mb download and less than 500kb upload. ping is well over 200ms. and the internet just wont stop disconnecting, I must add that I noticed my router had upgraded to 2.8 sky from 1.9 on saturday.
      I have rang sky twice, and was led through changing filters, rebooting the router, trying the test socket.

the man I spoke to told me that it seems my internet has dropped drastically and then told me at the end of the call my internet looks fine now and is connected at 14mb, he didnt realise I was at my computer on the router page at the time, and the router was actually connected at 1.4mb or 1400kb.

using the internet without the phone solves nothing.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You're best creating a new thread to stop any confusion, but as above, is there any noise on the line or dropping dial tone when the router is unplugged from the filter? This is the first thing the 'advisor' should have done to ascertain whether this is a PSTN or ADSL issue...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast