Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Christmas = No ADSL for me?

This is a discussion on Christmas = No ADSL for me? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hmmm, that's not filling with me joy I have to say! Despite what Sky tell me I normally get around ...

miam00 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01733
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Christmas = No ADSL for me?

Hmmm, that's not filling with me joy I have to say! Despite what Sky tell me I normally get around 3.5mb download / 500kb upload so nowhere near your speed, I'm not too worried how fast right now, just want a connection.

I didnt use internet Saturday so the problems may have started then, I only noted on Sunday morning, what area are you in out of curiosity, I am PE which is East England.

How have Sky left it with you now, have they done there testing and that's it? That's pretty much how I left it with them on Sunday, they seemed to have ran out of ideas after the reboot router / laptop & change filters.

I may take my router to work and plug it into our Star ADSL line just to confirm the router is OK. I know I wont get access but think the ADSL signal should at least fire up?

Keep me updated, I would be interested to know what happens..

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

User05, I will test this in a moment when I get home, the advisor didn't even mention that!

TazzFM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01229
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Ok I will go make a new thread now. yes there is still crackling down the phone without the router plugged in.

I cant say about dropping dial tone as it has been completely random, and seems to come back to life at random, but the crackling returns with it.

I am in LA14, which is cumbria, north west england. well basically they did a line test told me nothing was wrong with the line, told me its the phone, I said well what about the fact all the problems persist without the phone plugged in, and he told me they are doing some tests until the 16th?. and my speed may fluculate, which it isn't even moving above 1mb. I rang twice and both ran out of ideas.

like I say I am going to make my own thread, but I will keep visiting here, to see what is going on your end, and provide any information if I can.

Thanks

Hi,
      Called Sky again last night, TS chap went through the usual, escalated me to a UK TS who went through the same then told me "I really don't know, we will test for another 72 hours then come back to you, here's a reference number"!. What terrible service, that will be 5 days without broadband.

I can confirm I tried another handset and there was no crackle so I guess the line is fine. Risked the argument and removed the xmas tree out of the equation too, still no connection, still have a missis! bonus.

I brought the router into work today, we dont have Sky but do have a business ADSL service from Star Internet. When I plug the Sky router in, I get the same lights on, just power & wireless, does this indicate there is an issue with the router? Should I at least get a connection light appear as I know this line is working fine.?

I have reset router several times time..

Any advice appreciated, cant wait until weekend for Sky to call back, if they do.

Cheers

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

That's normal for Sky tech. Tier 1 go through initial troubleshooting and if they can't solve it pass it to CST and they have 72hrs to get in touch due to call volume

If the tree was causing an issue the issue should go away once the lights have been turned off. Sounds more like coincidence that the line has now developed a fault the same time the tree was erected. The trees physical presence shouldn't be enough to ruin an Internet connection

What you could do is unplug ALL electrical equipment bar the router and if it connects add plugs around the house and see if the connection drops. If it does, there's your problem. Also bare in mind that the bad weather may have had a hand in the issue
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Hi there, yes I did try that out of desperation last night, unplugged everything except the cooker & heating, no joy!

Do you know if the router should connect from a "non-sky" line? I know it wouldn't connect as such as the password would be incorrect but I am sure if the router was fine at the very least the adsl light would fire up?

Cheers

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

It would connect but fail authentication (Internet '@' light will stay Orange)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      It would connect but fail authentication (Internet '@' light will stay Orange)
      Thanks, that's what I thought, perhaps I should ring Sky and update them maybe they can send me another router?

Grrrrhhhh

Regards

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Call them and quote the reference number you were given. Tell them you have tested the router in a working connection and the internet light does not come on. With a job number you should not have to go through the hoops you have already been through.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I wish, rang them and told them all this but to no avail. He said the internet connection light wouldn't come on, he would update the records but it wouldn't make anyone call me back sooner than 72 hours, maybe longer as its snowing...

Words fail me..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast