Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

PPP Server Down

This is a discussion on PPP Server Down within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok.... this is one of the few problems I'm having with Sky in recent times... Sadly, Im not the bill ...

TommyWizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

PPP Server Down

Ok.... this is one of the few problems I'm having with Sky in recent times...

Sadly, Im not the bill payer so I dont really get to throw my weight around. But anyways.

So. Recently I've noticed that at approximatly 9.30PM every night, the PPP Server goes down (Thats what it says in the Sky Router Status)

This is a big pain in the side becasue of trying to play online with the old Playstation . This only really started happening a few weeks ago. Last Christmas was the last time any setting on the router had been changed. Botched update or is it the Exchange Server (Which is 5 houses up from me....) the problem?

Maybe its for another topic... but I've noticed that the speed in general has improved ever since the Internet was affected across the UK. Is it possible that SKY was throttling us and hasn't got back to putting the restriction on again?

Thanks in advance for replies. Anymore info needed please give me a shout and I'll do my best to get it.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: PPP Server Down

Post up your stats:

How to get your router statistics

I don't think you're just losing PPP session; I think you're more than likely dropping sync completely. What router do you have? Does the internet light ('i' symbol on the white netgear or '@' symbol on the other routers) go off and start flashing amber?

Could be possibly a REIN issue with Christmas lights or the like being turned on around the same time every night.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

TommyWizard (07-12-10)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      I don't think you're just losing PPP session; I think you're more than likely dropping sync completely. What router do you have? Does the internet light ('i' symbol on the white netgear or '@' symbol on the other routers) go off and start flashing amber?

Could be possibly a REIN issue with Christmas lights or the like being turned on around the same time every night.

We have the Sagem, the light flashes like normal and the network icon CLAIMS there is internet access. But it just directions to the 192.168.0.1 page saying the internet access is down.

We dont even have the Chrimbo tree up yet so its not that... :P

Exchange:
      Thanks

It's not just specifically lights from your house, it could be from neighbours' houses also. However, we'll leave that aside for the time being.

Your line stats aren't good. Upstream attenuation being higher than your downstream is never a good sign, and could be a possible external line fault. Before you can be sure of that, you're best trying your test socket, explained in the link below, and repost your stats from the test socket. Ensure you're simply just using a filter direct into the test socket (preferably a different filter if you have another to hand) and the short grey dsl cable Sky provided:

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

7. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

TommyWizard (07-12-10)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, thats the before and after test in the master socket.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ouch, not what we were looking for. The only other thing you could try is another filter into the test socket if you haven't tried already. Also, do you have any noise or issues on the landline phone at all?

Provided you have tried another filter and there are no issues to report on the landline, then you're going to have to call Sky on 08442410515 and tell them you have an intermittent connection. It'll likely either result in a replacement router or Openreach visit.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

TommyWizard (07-12-10)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Before I begin, thanks very much for your help. I truly truly appreciate it

The landlines couldn't be better. I have never had a spot of bother with them, except trying to find them! (Wireless phones lol)

I think a call to Sky may be the way to go, as this is the second Microfilter (the other prevented the PS3 from going on the net). Will they charge us for a new router though?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Definitely a call to Sky is in order at this point, then. Out of warranty routers (1 year+) are 28 for replacement. Some advisors don't charge in some circumstances - some don't charge ever. If they suggest a charge, then just kick up a fuss and you'll get one free in some cases. However, at a guess, I'd say it's more likely that Sky will log the fault to Openreach instead of replacing the router. Call up that number I left earlier and you'll get through to broadband tech - suggest you have an intermittent connection and they'll ask you a few things (everything that you've already done). It'll then be escalated to CST (Customer Solutions Team) and they'll pick it up in 72 hours.

No problemos.