Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Move to sky?

This is a discussion on Move to sky? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all. Probably a silly question to ask on the sky user forums but here goes... I used to have ...

ithompson72 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chichester
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Move to sky?

Hi all. Probably a silly question to ask on the sky user forums but here goes...

I used to have sky broadband a few years back but moved to be for better ADSL2+ support. With the advent of Anytime+ I am thinking about possibly moving back to Sky but not sure if it is worth it.

Currently have be unlimited. Get a 12Mbps sync with a static IP.

Have sky tv but only the basic with 2 entertainment packs (don't have movies or sports).

I can live without the static IP (assume I can use dyndns on the current sky routers?). Never downloaded more than 50GB in a month (and probably a lot less than that). Don't need email and the likes. Don't use P2P and main uses are world of warcraft and iplayer/lovefilm streaming.

Am in contract with BT with free evening and weekend calls - do not want Sky's line rental package but sky talk may be ok. Have got BT privacy for caller display.

So, now that I have told you my life story:
      1) Is anytime+ worth it at the moment if you don't subscribe to movies/sports? Is there much to watch?
      2) Does the sky router support dyndns (believe it is now a DLINK)?
      3) Would using sky talk impact on BT privacy (such as caller display becoming chargeable)?
      4) How well does Sky broadband (LLU) perform these days?

From what I've said is there anything that I haven't considered?

Thanks all.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Move to sky?

1. I don't use it but SkyPlayer is good. I watch live football all the time
      2. I don't know as it's been a long time since I've used a Sky router but I'm pretty sure they do
      3. It shouldn't do but the BT options would no longer apply as you're on a different call provider (I could be wrong on this)
      4. It's one of the best in the country at present
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

1) Not much on Anytime+ for non sports/movies subscribers but it is growing and is promised to be better in the new year when the HBO and other deals kick in.
      2) Don't know the DLink but other routers support DynDns. I have had problems though with the 30 day limit on free accounts.
      3) If you keep your BT line and take Sky Talk you will be charged by BT for caller display. To get it free you have to make 2 calls a month through BT but this isn't possible from Sky Talk.

ithompson72 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chichester
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks both for the responses. Sounds like it may not be a useful move at the moment (partly because of caller display but mostly because there isn't that big a choice on anytime+ for my tv package). Think I might see how things stand in the new year (whether there is more or anytime+ or sky start showing willing to allow other ISPs for anytime+).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is a nuisance having to pay BT for caller display, but it is more than paid for by the discount on broadband for having Sky Talk. If only there were a way to make the 2 calls a month required to qualify for BT Privacy.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.