Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky connect question

This is a discussion on Sky connect question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello everyone it's been a while since I posted and been reading anything in here but I always know it's ...

skyconnectsufferer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: holland on sea
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky connect question

Hello everyone it's been a while since I posted and been reading anything in here but I always know it's the best place to ask.

What's the general opinion of connect these days? Is it still as bad at peak times as it used to be?

My friend is moving to a place in the sticks called wicken green village which Is in an area called fakenham and there is no llu, just the bt product,apparently the next door neighbour has only ever managed half a meg at best, I did warn him in the past of my awful connect experience and not to ever go with it if the situation arises but he has done just that, he done sone deal with the moving team at sky for free connect.

He hasn't got a line sorted by bt yet so can't get any figures for attenuation etc and I did ask him to see if there a current line up and running but no luck speaking to old owner so not a good situation.

Do you think sky would throttle a half meg line at peak time or is that something they would leave be as it is? And other question would be that are people still leaving connect and moving ISP as I did or is that been stopped by sky or have they changed their ways and sorted out speed issues once people complain?

Thanks all.

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky connect question

skyconnectsufferer
      Hi I have been trying to find the nearest Bt Exchange for wicken green village. Sky have been unbundling and upgrading exchanges to LLU over the last few months. Connect some still seem to be having issues still with the Connect package. But not as many as before. You can see on(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users and Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? there seem to be more posting on the last link.
      Do you think sky would throttle a half meg line at peak time or is that something they would leave be as it is? ?
      To be honest I do not know.
      And other question would be that are people still leaving connect and moving ISP as I did or is that been stopped by sky or have they changed their ways and sorted out speed issues once people complain.
      Yes people are still leaving. But not as many. I think your Friend will have to weigh the pros and cons. There is not as many posts about the connect package. I am sorry if I have not been very helpful.

Thanks

No I appreciate the response, wicken green village seems to have a strange exchange coverage, theres 4 exchanges in a square in 4 different directions and wicken is in the middle of that square and all 4 are a fair distance away from each other and If I remember right in one corner of the village 2 of the exchanges coverage overlap a tiny bit so it's really bad luck where the place is located

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

That is bad luck. Sky unbundling I did a thread of Sky`s unbundled exchanges Latest Sky Unbundled Exchanges on SamKnows That was Augusts Unbundled Exchange which Samknows got the information around the beginning of October Sky seem to have unbundled more in September and might be still be unbundling. I keep looking at SamKnows - Sky / Easynet LLU But it still shows 1301 (100%) and that was August figures. Yet Sky Customers are saying they have moved over on to Sky LLU. Samknows have to await for the information from Sky before Samknows can show the Upgrade. It is worth while to see if your exchange has been or being unbundled. The LLU packages are really good. As I say though I wish I could have helped your Friend more.

Thanks

Just thought I'd look out of curiosity and I noticed that talk talk have llu enabled on my exchange recently, holland on sea, but my exchange isn't 21cn enabled so I wouldn't gain any speed would I if I went to llu? Not that I'd join talk talk anyway but just wanted to know either way, any odds that bt might pull their finger put and get it 21cn ready at some point?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

21CN makes no difference to LLU providers like TalkTalk and Sky. If TalkTalk is enabled on your exchange they will be able to supply ADSL2+. Whether this would be an advantage for you depends on your present speed. Generally you will not gain much unless you have 7-8Mb with a good noise margin and an attenuation in the 30's at present. ADSL2+ does not double your speed as many think.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.0 db 9.0 db
      Noise Margin 11.3 db 24.0 db

That's my current stats, so is talk talk able to offer adsl2 then?

Thanks

They should be able to give you 16Mb+. Try putting your details into the boxes on this page and click the Check speed button-
      https://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product...talId=TALKTALK

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

14.6meg interesting...just a shame it's talk talk, would plusnet have to put their own equipment in the exchange to get adsl2 with them?

Thanks

Plusnet are really BT and when the exchange is upgraded by BT to 21 CN WBC, they will offer ADSL2+. They already offer this on several exchanges.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast