Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Questions about sky

This is a discussion on Questions about sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm currently with ukonline and because they are closing down soon i will be looking for another isp. Sky seems ...

jimconsole is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Questions about sky

I'm currently with ukonline and because they are closing down soon i will be looking for another isp. Sky seems the best option at the moment but i hear they don't provide fastpath for gamers but only max delays of 8ms. at the moment im getting 7ms pings to bbc on fastpath and was wondering those who have switched to sky have your pings increased alot? will i be getting 30ms + pings from now on if i make the change?

Also another thing i heard some time ago if you get the call package then you can call sky help for free is this true still? and what are they like on the phone, im guessing you can't get through to someone in 20secs like on ukonline?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Questions about sky

20-30ms is normal for Sky BB customer, and no you won't get to someone in 20 seconds calling Sky tech...there's a MUCH larger customer base and it's not aimed at the hardcore gamers. you might want to look at BE*
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Calls from Sky Talk to support are free during the free time with the free version and all the time with Unlimited.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      20-30ms is normal for Sky BB customer, and no you won't get to someone in 20 seconds calling Sky tech...there's a MUCH larger customer base and it's not aimed at the hardcore gamers. you might want to look at BE*
      I would get BE if i could but its not in my area, only easynet, talktalk and orange. looks like im stuck

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Calls from Sky Talk to support are free during the free time with the free version and all the time with Unlimited.
      Ah thats good thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

Oh one more thing i forgot to ask was about the router they send out. correct me if im wrong but you have the username and password of the account built into the router so need special software to get the details out of it to use another router. Is this still the case or do you send the logins details seperate now?

Thanks

The login details are in the router. You don't really need 'special software' to get them out. There are utilities available online. You will receive a Sagem or Dlink, both seem to be getting issued at the moment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The login details are in the router. You don't really need 'special software' to get them out. There are utilities available online. You will receive a Sagem or Dlink, both seem to be getting issued at the moment.
      Ok just that my current router is all setup on a wall already and would prefer to reuse it straight away.

Thanks

Details for the Netgears and Sagem can be found here - https://www.cm9.net/skypass/ and the Dlink on Fuzzy's site here - Mel's Notes: DSL2640S

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Details for the Netgears and Sagem can be found here - https://www.cm9.net/skypass/ and the Dlink on Fuzzy's site here - Mel's Notes: DSL2640S
      Great thanks!

I think i will give them a call tomorrow and sign up. hope i don't have to wait too long for it to switch over.

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimconsole View Post
      Great thanks!

hope i don't have to wait too long for it to switch over.
      Not sure if its much use, but I set up/signed up on my PC for Sky broadband Unlimited for my mother in law. She did not have broadband previously. She has her line rental and calls with BT. I signed up on the evening of the 10 October via Sky's website, her connection was live on the 19 October.

I suppose different areas might have a longer or shorted going live time, but I just thought I would mention it so you get some idea of the timescale.