Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Contacted Sky about speed - common procedure?

This is a discussion on Contacted Sky about speed - common procedure? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I was connected to Sky on the 28th October with a downstream connection speed of around 1500-1600kbps (router status page). ...

rowzee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Contacted Sky about speed - common procedure?

I was connected to Sky on the 28th October with a downstream connection speed of around 1500-1600kbps (router status page). After the 10 day testing period this was reduced to 1023kbps and I can see it on my Sky online account that it is capped. In addition, this dropped further to 760kbps after I restarted the router one (I assume because of DLM), so I rang Sky yesterday.

The first guy I talked to performed the basic line check that you can do on their website and said that our phoneline should be able to handle much more than the current speed (3.5Mbit, and I was quoted 2Mbit before. Also, with BT we had speeds around 1.5-2Mbit, so the line can certainly accommodate that). So he diverted me to a guy in the CST.

The second guy performed an additional line test through my test socket and agreed that I should be getting higher speeds. But then he said he can't help me anymore and will direct my enquiry to a higher tech divison and that I should expect a call from them within a few days.

So basically I am stuck without any improvements having been made, waiting a call that may never happen, is this normal?

In addition, I post my router stats to get an idea of what I could reasonably expect:

Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 765 kbps 415 kbps
      Line Attenuation 68.0db 42.9db
      Noise Margin 7.2db 15.7db

Thank you very much for your help!

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Contacted Sky about speed - common procedure?

Your line attenuation is high which means you are a long way from your exchange, not so long ago you would not even be able to bet ADSL with those stats.

That said, if Sky put you on the G.DMT profile instead of ADSL2 you should see a little more speed as it handles long lines better.

Give them another call and ask them to try it, you could be waiting forever for them to ring you.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Your line attenuation is high which means you are a long way from your exchange, not so long ago you would not even be able to bet ADSL with those stats.

That said, if Sky put you on the G.DMT profile instead of ADSL2 you should see a little more speed as it handles long lines better.

Give them another call and ask them to try it, you could be waiting forever for them to ring you.
      I will ring them on Monday If I don't get any response until then.

The point is that our line handled 1500kbps in the beginning with no problems (at least from my user point of view), so it is puzzling why the speed has dropped now.

I know virtually nothing about the G.DMT vs ADSL2 profiles, can it really be switched that easily? Could you point me to some more information about these? Thanks.

Thanks

Chances are you started on G.DMT and DLM kicked in and moved it across to ADSL2 and so you lost speed, I wouldn't bother waiting, give them a call now, you will need to speak to CST about it but if you are expecting a call (which won't come) you should still have an open ticket and be put through to them.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK, just noticed the status update on my Sky account:

''Line testing is currently in progress.

Stabilisation
      Testing on your broadband connection began on 17/11/2010 and will be complete within 10 days.''

So at least something is going on. Either way, will give them a ring about switching to G.DMT. As I understand, this is an older standard, but may provide advantages for those far from the exchange due to the increased stress by ADSL2 on the lines, is that right?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Gave them a second call, they said they can't do anything until the technical department has investigated the matter which can take up to 72 hours, so will call again tomorrow when the time has passed (I just hope I'm not being taken for a ride here). I did mention the switch to G.DMT and the fellow confirmed with a colleague that it would be a possible solution, but apparently they can't change anything until there's an open investigation.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As I understand, this is an older standard, but may provide advantages for those far from the exchange due to the increased stress by ADSL2 on the lines, is that right?
      Yes, it is a bit more complicated, but basically ADSL2+ uses wider frequencies than ADSL and if interference is present on the higher frequency, this diminishes its effectiveness. ADSL2+ can deliver higher speeds over longer distances, but it depends on the quality of the line. Few lines are good enough to deliver the full potential of ADSL2+ over a long distance.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, after calling for the 3rd time, I was finally connected to a CST person (after I had been asked to perform all the physical setup tests AGAIN) who could tweak my stats. They set me up on G.DMT (which doesn't seem to make a difference), removed the DLM on my line and these are my current stats which look much better:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1856 kbps 608 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5db 31.5db
      Noise Margin 7.7db 11.0db

Thanks

Your not on G.dmt according to those stats.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Definitely on g.dmt, Smithy. Capped at 1856/608 g.dmt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast