Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection woes? Or not..

This is a discussion on Connection woes? Or not.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We have the unlimited package connected upto the house, with skytalk alongside it and had no problems with it really ...

Snub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: H'pool
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Connection woes? Or not..

We have the unlimited package connected upto the house, with skytalk alongside it and had no problems with it really (once the line settled down) until Monday just gone.

The phoneline works fine, the Internet connection however is dead. We're using the netgear gt router (3years old), connected upto a pc through houseplugs, a laptop wirelessly, same with a xbox. The router still 'seems' to work, as I can print from the laptop to the printer attached to the pc, through the wireless network. I've swapped out the microfilter twice and the cable from the microfilter to the router twice also. Repeatedly turned the router on and off by the mains, removed all cables and replaced once 10 mins has happened. Same with a repeated try of the reset button on the back. It's connected to the only socket in the house so am presuming that its the master socket, also connecting with the faceplate off, so through the test socket part..thing..*insert technical name*

With a call to customer help (and explaining what I've done repeatedly to three different people) the conversation ended with "please try another microfilter...if that doesn't work call back"

4th microfilter (1st newly bought one from a supermarket...all others unused from initial router package) and a nice clean phoneline...no asdl. I call back and a guy called David on tier 1 support (who said the line was bad...while breathing so hard his breath on the headset was causing the problems) tried talking through all the same, got told I've notes on the account to call back and skip all this...he says "oh yea...right, tier 2 will be in contact in 48hrs or so...thanks bye"

So that's 48hrs without a service I'm paying for...which is coming upto its final 24 now, but is there anyone with any advice to get at least...something done? As well, I can't help thinking if I'm actually available to take this call at...whatever time they do call, it'll be entirely the same conversation again.

Please help!

And I apologise if there's any bad spelling/grammar but am stuck using an iPhone on it's 3G connection :/

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Connection woes? Or not..

How to get your router statistics
      Get a set of stats from your test socket and we can have a look.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      LAN 10M/100M 2400 266 0 5 0 36:12:54
      WLAN 11M/54M 4543 6541 0 8 3 36:12:46

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 0 kbps 0 kbps
      Line Attenuation db db
      Noise Margin db db
      Not the clearest of displays, but limited in copy & paste while on the phone

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Did tier 1 do a 'tone test' with you? Did you hear some beeping down your line?

If you've tried numerous filters; in the test socket; different adsl cable (no extension cables, however); confirmed your landline is free of any noise/issues and you're still getting no internet light on the router, then it's likely going to be the router.

Sky's Customer Solutions Team (who you are awaiting call-back from) are bombarded, so you'll need to await the call-back. When they ring, they'll pretty much confirm what has been done and then run two different tests. Most likely everything will pass and point towards the router.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Tier 1 just went through the standardised stuff of "did you turn it off at the socket? Reset at the back? Microfilter? It could be computer related?" etc, then soon as I listed what I had done already the (initial tier 1) person put me through to tier 2, or the customer solutions team, who then said about trying a brand new microfilter...either as a way to delay something..or standard procedure. But no real line test was done, unless they did it while I was shifted onto my mobile..just before they mentioned the test socket (which was already in use).

Many frustrations trying to access emails for work and other stuff through this 3G and iPhone though..hope they get through to me soon.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

If you weren't on the home phone they can't do the tone test...they could've done a line test though
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Initial call was done on the home phone line, tier 2/customer support then asked for a mobile number so they could try something, which never came to light what it was.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

It would've been to run a line test as you need to be off the phone to do it
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Heh...

Called back up as never had the 48hr call back, got passed through tier 1 fairly fast. Next guy accesses my account: "hi, what seems to be the problem?" asked him to check the notes on the account, he finds no notes, explains that's why there's been no call backs, as nothing has been actually logged. Not a happy customer at this point..

20 mins later he's talked to his manager, forwarded an email to him to ensure I get a call back between now and 12pm tomorrow and given me a full reference number and repeatedly apologised for the service.

Ain't holding my breath for the callback..just hope it happens >.<