Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

My wirless connection says connected but has status no internet access

This is a discussion on My wirless connection says connected but has status no internet access within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Did you try setting up the OpenDNS servers?...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: My wirless connection says connected but has status no internet access

Did you try setting up the OpenDNS servers?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      jimmy_hugh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No I didn't try that can you just run through how to do this if you don't mind? And what does OpenDNS Servers mean ?

Thanks

Probably the best way is to have a look at the OpenDNS site and sign up for a free account and you will receive full instructions.. It has quite a few advantages. See here - OpenDNS > Use OpenDNS

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that hopefully my internet works when i get home to try it out.

What do you think the problem is personally do you think it is a issue with Sky I don't understand why all of a sudden it has gone like this I have had it since May and had no problems since now. And don't understand why it connects sometimes and then other times it don't?

Koochy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Jimmy, about a year ago i had the exact problem you are describing, it was saying i was connected but no internet, this is because you are actually connected to the router and in turn your local network, the problem i had with the internet was actually with my telephone line, i narrowed it down to not having internet after a heavy downpour of rain so i called BT and they ran a line check and said that there was nothing wrong with the line but i insisted they send and engineer, they said if they found no fault or a fault with the internal telephone wiring then i would have to pay 110 quid call out fee but when the engineer got there he opened up the little box outside the house and it was full of water and he said that when it filled up with water it was shorting out two of the terminals inside (The internet ones) and this was causing the problem, not sure if this will help but it is something to think about

Koochy

rowzee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Could be a case of the router not being able to provide the correct DNS server address to the computer, this is almost certainly the case if programs such as Skype work but you can't open any websites. I just experienced this myself. You can try adding the DNS server manually. Go to the router status page which will give you the DNS server IP. Then find your wireless network connection, go to status, properties, TCP/IPv4, properties, and select ''Use the following DNS server addresses'' and type in the DNS address you found on the router website.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that advice guys I might phone BT and ask them to do a line check but I don't want to risk a engineer visit because knowing my luck I would have to pay.

I done that DNS thing with the SKY customer service and it didn't work.

This weekend my internet has been working so decided to just leave my router on rather then turn it off like I usually do so i don't lose the connectio and I am still awaiting the phone call from the SKY team about their findings.

Thanks

This weekend my internet has been working so decided to just leave my router on rather then turn it off
      It is always better to leave your router connected 24/7. The only exception to this is if you have a line which generates a lot of night time noise, which can cause your speed to drop. I don't think this is your problem so I would leave it on. The amount of power it consumes is very small.

There is a chance it is your card in the exchange which is causing the problem. If you Sky call you back or you call them, mention this as a possibility. I doubt if it is a straight forward line fault.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

isITmE that is great I was bit worried leaving it on 24/7 but glad you have said to leave it on. Just thought now it is connected leave it on so don't lose it.

And when SKY phone I will mention this. Can you explain more what the card is in the exchange?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Telling CST what to check for won't go down well, if they need to change something on the card they will so don't worry about that - no one likes being told how to do their job
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast