Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No internet, no access to router configuration setting

This is a discussion on No internet, no access to router configuration setting within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My 'dear' son has been trying to connect his xbox to his laptop and in so doing has last the ...

ginaflowers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No internet, no access to router configuration setting

My 'dear' son has been trying to connect his xbox to his laptop and in so doing has last the bb access for us all. He says his instructions told him to change the router ip address to 192.168.1.1 and he has also unchecked dchp. Now he has done this I cannot access the router stats on either the default url or the one above. When I try to connect to sky under wirelessnetwork connection it says it is connected but also that it is an unidentified network and no internet access.

I cannot connect any of the household computers or my smartphone.

I have turned the router off then on, I have pressed the little reset button then switched it on and I have switched it on whilst pressing the reset button, hoping it would reset everything back to default, but to no avail.
      Now I have no idea what to try. He's obviously done something to the router software but I can't get in to reset it.
      !Help!

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: No internet, no access to router configuration setting

With the router turned on, hold down the reset button for 10 seconds until the light flashes, that should do it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Smithy99 For This Useful Post:

ginaflowers (15-11-10)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You're a star, thanks so much. Now off to investigate ways to connect his xbox to xbox live without interfering with my connection settings. (Oh, and I'm just about to change the password so he can't get into the router setttings again|)

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

It's very simple really, you just connect it by an ethernet cable to one of the ports on the router and then it should just work straight off. Providing UpNP is enabled in your router settings the NAT type should be "Open" automatically.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think your son may be trying to connect to the internet through his laptop so he can use its wireless connection. If so he will have to bridge the connection, how you do this depends on the OS being used. Basically, connect the Xbox to the laptop with an ethernet cable. Go to the Network Connections and highlight both the wireless and LAN connections. Right click on them and select Bridge Connections. Follow the instructions from there.

Unless there is a very good wireless connection, this does not work too well. Better buy him a pair of Homeplugs for Xmas. You then have the advantage of being able to pull the plug out when you want him in bed.
      Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think your son may be trying to connect to the internet through his laptop so he can use its wireless connection. If so he will have to bridge the connection, how you do this depends on the OS being used. Basically, connect the Xbox to the laptop with an ethernet cable. Go to the Network Connections and highlight both the wireless and LAN connections. Right click on them and select Bridge Connections. Follow the instructions from there.

Unless there is a very good wireless connection, this does not work too well. Better buy him a pair of Homeplugs for Xmas. You then have the advantage of being able to pull the plug out when you want him in bed.
      Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
      Many thanks for this, I shall look into this. Could make the gaming curfew easier to impose, I might even be able to get him to have enough sleep to be able to get up for college without me having to drag him from his bed, cheers.