Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Belkin F5D8636 On Sky BB

This is a discussion on Belkin F5D8636 On Sky BB within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Like a numpty when my wireless started falling down I decided I'd get a new router with a bit more ...

Garf is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Belkin F5D8636 On Sky BB

Like a numpty when my wireless started falling down I decided I'd get a new router with a bit more range so off I went thinking a router is a router as far as Sky was concerned

Now I know I am not meant to use the Belkin on Sky as a router (why is beyond me). So I'll use it as an access point.

But I can't see in the config of the F5D8636 how to fix a default gateway as to

Has anyone got an idiots guide to why, how etc?

Cheers in advance

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Belkin F5D8636 On Sky BB

There is nothing to stop you using it apart from the T & Cs, many do use their own routers with no come back so far.

If you want to connect it to the Sky router, go into the settings and change its IP address to and turn off its DHCP server. You don't need to bother about the default gateway as you are not going to use it as a router. The routing will be done by the Sky router.

Now go into the Sky router and turn off the wireless access point. As your new router has N standard you will not need it and it can sometimes interfere.

Connect an ethernet cable to any one of the ports on the Sky router and to any of the ethernet ports on the Belkin. Do not use the internet port. It will be found by the Sky router and you can use its wireless and remaining ethernet ports to connect to the internet or your home network. Remember you will have to set up wireless security on the Belkin.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.