Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Very slow broadband & intermittent line crackling

This is a discussion on Very slow broadband & intermittent line crackling within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I recently moved over from Orange to Sky. We always experienced problems with our phone line and broadband ...

Cwibster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy Very slow broadband & intermittent line crackling

Hi all,

I recently moved over from Orange to Sky. We always experienced problems with our phone line and broadband connection whilst with Orange but unfortunately their customer service never got round to resolving them for us (partly the reason for leaving them).

Since joining Sky we have been encountering similar problems (we live a long way from the exchange so don't except great speeds but not this bad).

For the first few days everything seemed fine. Our connection was slow at first but a phone call to Sky customer services fixed this (not sure what they did but they adjusted something and our download speed went up to around 1.4 mb).

We then started to notice similar problems to what we were experiencing with Orange - connection drops, a decrease in speed (currently 0.3 mb download) and frequent but intermittent crackling on our phone line (occasionally so bad that we can't hear the person on the other end of the line).

Our microfilter is plugged directly into the master socket with only a phone (wireless, however I have tried a wired phone and the issues remain) and the router attached but still the problems persist.

I've since purchased a high quality filter and a BT I-plate as I've read these can help reduce interference etc. I fitted these last night and if anything the speed got worse. As for the crackling, when I woke up this morning it was extremely noisy. I had suspicions that the crackling and connection drops were related to the weather however the weather was fine this morning so maybe not.

Even when the line sounds fine, if I do a quiet line test and sit and listen for a few minutes it'll chuck out the odd crackle/pop sound which doesn't seem right from what I've read (I've been given the impression it should be completely silent).

I'm at a loss as of what to do. I've read stories about BT engineers being sent out to check everything only to say that the line is fine (as there happens to be no crackling when they turn up given the problem is intermittent) followed by a hefty bill.

If anybody has any suggestions as to what I can try next that would be great.

Thanks for reading.

Chris.

EDIT: This is what my router is currently reading if this is of any use:

Connection Speed 339 kbps 430 kbps (downstream/upstream)
      Line Attenuation 69.5db 42.7db (downstream/upstream)
      Noise Margin 12.3db 10.5db (downstream/upstream)

Please let me know if you need any further information as I'm not entirely sure what's what.
      Last edited by Cwibster; 13-11-10 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Added router stats

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Very slow broadband & intermittent line crackling

If you plug just a normal corded phone into the main socket with nothing else at all on the line do you still get noise? If so you have a line fault that means nothing else will work properly without it being fixed.
      Do you only have the one telephone socket in your property and did you try plugging into the test socket to see if anything changes in your stats?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

We only have one socket in our house (the main BT box near the front door).

I've just removed the I-plate and currently have the decent filter plugged into the test socket with the router and a single wireless phone attached. The connection is now reading as follows:

Connection Speed 1575 kbps 365 kbps (upstream/downstream)
      Line Attenuation 69.5db 42.6db (upstream/downstream)
      Noise Margin 7.5db 11.0db (upstream/downstream)

What does this suggest?

I vaguely remember trying the test socket with Orange a long time ago and the connection improved (as above) temporarily but after a few days it dropped again.

If the improvement can be maintained is it ok to leave everything plugged into the test socket or should someone come out and look at the extension wiring really?

Thanks again.

Chris.
      Last edited by Cwibster; 13-11-10 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Added speedtest.net result

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you don't need the extension socket, few do with modern dect phones, pull the wires off the faceplate and tuck them out of the way. Replace your iPlate and face plate and see how your stats are. Although the iPlate will not be needed for the ring wire, it does contain an RF filter which could probably help your connection.

If you need the extension socket, your best bet would be to dump the iPlate and buy and use a filtered faceplate.
      XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation
      or
      BT NTE-2000 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5

There is nothing to stop you remaining plugged into the Test socket if it is convenient.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just a quick update. A few minutes ago my connection became non responsive (the router said it was still connected but I couldn't browse at all).

I also noticed the noise margin on the router statistics page was going bezerk (although I have no idea what this actually means) - one second is was around 6db and the next it was -2db.

I picked up the phone and heard the dreaded crackling so quickly ran to the front door, unplugged everything except for a corded phone in the test socket, ran a quiet line test and the crackling was still there.

Does this conclude that there's an issue with the line itself and not my equipment? My only concern is that the problem is intermittent so may not be detectable when Sky/BT run their tests. If I provide dates/times of when the problem occurs are they able to check for problems/run tests retrospectively?

My connection is back up and running now but with the following stats:

Connection Speed 814 kbps 328 kbps (downstream/upstream)
      Line Attenuation 69.5db 42.6db (downstream/upstream)
      Noise Margin 11.3db 10.0db (downstream/upstream)

Thanks,

Chris.
      Last edited by Cwibster; 13-11-10 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added more information

gorstj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

This proves it is a fault on your telephone line (as long as your corded phone isn't faulty....).

Report it to whover you pay line rental to as a VOICE fault with INTERMITTENT noise on the line. You shouldn't get charged this way.

Don't mention your broadband problems until they have sorted out the crackling on your line.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice all