Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband very slow and crackly phone line.

This is a discussion on Broadband very slow and crackly phone line. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Sorry quite a long post. I recently got Sky installed, got the TV, Broadband and Free Talk Anytime. I ...

mikazza is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01698
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Broadband very slow and crackly phone line.

Hi,

Sorry quite a long post.

I recently got Sky installed, got the TV, Broadband and Free Talk Anytime. I kept my line rental with BT as I didn't see any reason to move it.

My broadband went live on the 9th November, I checked the router and it was showing as...

..................................Downstream...... ......Upstream
      Connection Speed....4808 kbps................556 kbps
      Line Attenuation........41 db........................25.0 db
      Noise Margin.............14.1 db.....................13.0 db

When I did a test on speedtest.net it says I was getting 2.8 mb/s down and 0.5 mb/s up, ping was about 120ms. I unplugged the router and moved it to where I wanted it on my computer desk and plugged it back in, when it came back on it was showing as...

Connection Speed....3708 kbps................556 kbps
      Line Attenuation........41 db........................25.0 db
      Noise Margin.............14.1 db.....................13.0 db

now I was only getting 2.2 mb/s on the speedtest website. So I tried resetting the router again to see if it went back to 4808 kbps when it came back on it was now at 2608 kbps, the speedtest website was still showing as 2.2 mb/s. I decided to leave it alone and leave the router plugged in and switched on.

The next day when I put my computer on the downstream speed was now at 2208 kbps and the speedtest website was still showing as 2.2 mb/s. When I signed up and they did a line test they said I would be getting 4.5 mb/s out of 20 mb/s so this is over half as slow.

Now when I put my computer on the figures show as this...

Connection Speed....2708 kbps................796 kbps
      Line Attenuation........44.5 db......................25.0 db
      Noise Margin.............16.7 db.....................12.5 db

Great I thought, it's going back up, when I did a test on the speedtest website it is now showing as 0.2 mb/s down and 0.44 mb/s up and the connection is useless to me now, how can the upload speed be more than the download?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1027670581.png

I've also noticed the router is causing a crackling noise on my phone line, if I unplug the router wire from the micro filter my phone line is clear if I plug it back in and get connected to sky the phone line has a constant crackling noise on it. I've tried 3 different micro filters and they all do the same.

I know i'm still in my 10 day training period but the speed i'm getting when trying to download is 45-55 kbps (I used to get that on dial-up). Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do? I don't want to keep unplugging the router as everytime I do it lowers my downstream speed.

I had to use my Virgin Media broadband to even access this website and post this message, luckily I had the forethought to keep a hold of Virgin for a month while the sky broadband settled down.

Mick.

2. Advertisement
      Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Re: Broadband very slow and crackly phone line.

Make sure you are connected to the master socket and all other sockets in use have a microfilter in them, unless you have a prefiltered faceplate. Try a new filter as well, If the crackling noise is only there with the router plugged in, you need to call Sky tech support, it may be that you need a replacement. Also, make sure that the filter is the first thing in your socket, and the router is plugged directly into the modem point. If you have a splitter thats been left by your tv engineer, make sure its not plugged in and the router is being connected through it.

If the line noise is there without the router, you need to call BT if your rental is with them.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply, I don't know if i'm plugged into the master socket, there are 2 sockets in the house, one in the bedroom and one in the living room, both identical.

However, I have managed to get rid of the crackling on the phone line and my speed has went up to nearer what I was expecting. The engineer who installed the TV put a wire from the HD box to the telephone line, this box was plugged directly into the wall on the socket and the microfilter was plugged into this box.

I removed this box and plugged the microfilter directly into the socket and the noise on the phone line dissapeared and my speed is also up at 3.59 mb/s on speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.net/result/1027784824.png) showing as this now on the router...

...................................Downstream..... ..Upstream
      Connection Speed.....4094 kbps...........796 kbps
      Line Attenuation.........44.5 db................25.1 db
      Noise Margin..............9.8 db..................11.5 db

Do you know if I need the wire from the Sky HD box to the phone line?

Thanks

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you just plug it into the filter on the phone side
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Cheers, that worked, the phone line is still clear and the broadband still looking good.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Stop unplugging and booting your router, this will cause DLM to set your speed much lower than it should be. Leave it plugged in and powered up till the training period is complete.

You have been disconnecting so often another one is not going to make any difference, so have a look inside your phone sockets and if there is a wire connected to the number 3 terminal, pull it off, this is the ring wire and is not required when using filters. It can interfere badly with ADSL. All being well, you should end up with a speed of 7-8Mb

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.