Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Noise margin all over the place

This is a discussion on Noise margin all over the place within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, Been a Sky BB user for many years, never had that good connection speeds due to my distance ...

paulheywood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Binley, Coventry
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Noise margin all over the place

Hi there,

Been a Sky BB user for many years, never had that good connection speeds due to my distance from the exchange (around 60dB attention), but could pretty much guarantee around 3M+

Recently it's all gone downhill - and seems to be related to my Noise Margin, the figures the router reports vary from minus figures (wouldn't even connect), to 4 to 14 etc. etc.

I've plugged it into the Test socket and tried a couple of different filters all with the same results, I spoke to Sky who were equally puzzled (luckily the speed varied wildly when I was talking to him) and only real suggestion was a new router at 28.

So - has anyone else got any advice ? I've turned off all electrics 'near' the router (TV etc.) to try and isolate any noise but all to no avail,

Advice more than welcome, thanks for reading,

Paul.

PS. Coincidently I moved my telephony back to Sky Talk on the 8th - Sky fella convinced me that the line would have settled by now and it wouldn't be causing a problem.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Noise margin all over the place

Should the new router not fix things then Sky will need to get BT out to check the line
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Yorkieair is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Moortown
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Post Re: Noise margin all over the place

Quote Originally Posted by paulheywood View Post
      Hi there,

Been a Sky BB user for many years, never had that good connection speeds due to my distance from the exchange (around 60dB attention), but could pretty much guarantee around 3M+

Recently it's all gone downhill - and seems to be related to my Noise Margin, the figures the router reports vary from minus figures (wouldn't even connect), to 4 to 14 etc. etc.
      My connection is very similar to yours with 3072/60 attenuation on poor/longish line, it can stay up and operate normally for periods well over a week, capped and on G.DMT.

Yesterday in heavy rain & wind connection reduced 12.6% with the noise margin struggling around 3. Rebooted today and been steady for several hours at the normal 3076 with 7 noise margin. A while back there was heavy mist/fog (250 metres visibility) then similar reductions occurred.

On a Master socket, suspect the weather is the problem on the Ancient BT system, while the phone seems ok could say the wire from the pole is around 40 years old.

ethos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Noise margin all over the place

I get a pretty solid 1696 from my 60dB attenuation (between 6.9 and 7.6 snr generally), you guys are lucky!

Yorkieair is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Moortown
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Post Re: Noise margin all over the place

Quote Originally Posted by ethos View Post
      I get a pretty solid 1696 from my 60dB attenuation (between 6.9 and 7.6 snr generally), you guys are lucky!
      Yes somebody is always worse off, obvious question are you sure there are no wiring issues. Master socket / test socket results the same? G.DMT usually better on a long line if that is what you have.