Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Port forwarding has stopped working

This is a discussion on Port forwarding has stopped working within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Up until about a week ago I had a firewall rule set up on my Sky Sagem router to forward ...

airfrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01235
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Port forwarding has stopped working

Up until about a week ago I had a firewall rule set up on my Sky Sagem router to forward traffic on port 22 to a PC on my home network and this worked fine. Then suddenly it stopped. I tried recreating the rule and rebooting the router but that didn't help. I can still access the PC via SSH fine from within my home network and I can ping it from the router, so it's definitely a problem external to my home network. Internet access from within the network is OK.

If I enable the "respond to ping" option I can ping the IP address of my Sky router OK from outside the network. However, any firewall rule I create (port 22, 80, etc.) does not work.

The firmware version on my router updated from 1.9Sky to 2.8Sky two days ago. The problem started a couple of days before this and the firmware update has not fixed it.

So is the router faulty? Or have Sky suddenly started blocking ports?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Port forwarding has stopped working

I'm afraid it's a common problem with the sagems to lose the port forwarding after a short while - recreating the rule should however fix it. If it doesnt then I would recommend a reset of the router using the reset hole at the back of the router - hold it down for at least 1 minute.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I tried a reset of the router. I held the reset button in for about a minute. Everything went back to default settings (wireless SSID, all rules gone, etc.), so I guess it worked. I set up the firewall rule for port 22 again, but it still doesn't seem to work.

Any more suggestions

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you checked that the PC's firewall is not stopping the connection? Have you given the PC a fixed address and checked it has not changed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Bizarrely, without me changing anything, port forwarding has started working again. The only thing that appears to have changed is my connection speed. It dropped from 12MB to 11MB (and the upload speed halved to 512KB) around the time this problem started. The speed is now back up to 12MB and everything is working fine again. Maybe a co-incidence, maybe Sky were messing with something...